Chapter 24

Zayn throws a party for them when they get back to Occitens, a few weeks after their trip to Doru Araeba. He sets up enchanted fairy lights all over the hollow, enlists Niall to pick up alcohol from the nearest town, and even convinces the kitchen to make them a cake. The cake, of course, just ends up with Harry getting his face shoved into it by Louis at some point in the night.

Harry's sad they had to leave the beautiful island, but his heart is bursting from being back with his friends. He'd missed Niall's loud laughter, Sophia's quiet composure, and even Liam's puppy dog eyes. And of course, his lovely, annoying sister. He can feel Louis' quiet, calming presence in the back of his head, and he loves the way Louis is sitting right next to him, pressed into his side, but he doesn't have to open his mouth to communicate with him.

They're sitting around the fire, drinks in hand, when Sophia asks the question. "So, I'm assuming you two got your shit together."

Harry blushes, leaning in closer to Louis. He can feel his amusement through the bond, warming him up. Louis answers with a huge grin, "Yeah, you can say that."

Gemma twirls a piece of hair around her finger. "You got the soulmate shit figured out, then?"

Harry nods with a giggle. "Mhm. We, uh, did the bond and everything."

Niall starts up a cheer, standing up to pull Harry up into a weird dance. He's had more than his share of drinks, at this point, but Harry lets him lead him around, stumbling around in a circle. He can feel Louis' fondness through the bond, bright and clear. Opheila's bond is there, too, and she sends him a quick comment about how they need to try night flying. She's out with Garza right now, but he and his dragon are always eager to spend time alone sometimes.

Niall finally lets him go with a barking laugh, making the group cheer and toast when he plops back down next to Louis. "To Louis and Harry, our favorite soulmates!" Zayn says.

Louis snorts after taking a giant sip. "We're the only soulmates you know."

Zayn shrugs, but before he can respond Liam is speaking. "Um, guys?" The group turns to him. He has a confused expression on his face, eyebrows nearly knit together. "I didn't even know you guys were like, a thing."

"What the hell do you mean?" Gemma asks. "Did you not notice them flirting like crazy?"

Liam's mouth drops open. "I... No?"

Louis starts laughing, covering his face as it takes over his body. "Oh my god, Liam. I didn't think I needed to tell you. I thought Gemma told you."

Gemma nods. "Well, I told Niall to tell you. I had to go to a meeting."

She swings around to stare at Niall. The blond boy just takes a huge gulp of his beer and shrugs. "I forgot."

Harry starts laughing then, and then the whole group is. He barks out, "I can't believe you didn't notice. Looking back, I can't believe that anyone in the entire academy couldn't notice."

Liam looks flabbergasted for a moment, but then his expression becomes just bemused. "Oh my god."

"Realizing it now?" Zayn teases, patting his back.

"Oh my god," Liam repeats, staring at the two of them like he's running through every single time he's seen them interact.

Harry just giggles and tucks himself further into Louis' side, already sending Opheila the story of how Liam somehow missed the most obvious thing in the world.

603 words