Chapter 22

Rose is eccentric, to say the least. She wears more jewelry than Angelica and dark, winged eyeliner with red lipstick. Her hair is a dark, shimmering gray that falls to her waist. She's one of the few elves Harry's seen who shows signs of aging, a sign of just how old she really is.

She takes one look at Opheila after being introduced and rushes off with one finger raised in the air and her knee-length skirt flying behind her. They're waiting there for a while when she finally returns, carrying a giant, unpolished opal. She sets it on the table with a huff and turns to assess Opheila again. "What do you think? I've been waiting to use this forever."

Opheila nudges at the stone with her snout before grinning toothily. "I love it."

Rose scooches Louis out, but the man won't leave without kissing Harry quickly on the cheek. "See you later, hun!"

"Hun?" Rose asks when he's left, turning around with her hands on her waist and a playful grin on her face.

Rose's red dragon lights the fire Rose uses to start melting the opal, and she explains that the opal isn't really an opal. It's a special sort of metal called brightsteel, this particular variety looks like opal, but it's stronger and sturdier than any other metal. Rose is a whirl of energy, directing Harry to make tea and do various tasks in preparation.

When the metal is hot enough, Harry watches her manipulate it. Her magic must be some sort of metal ability, as she bends the metal as easily as breathing without a single word uttered. It takes her a while to get the shape just right, but it's beautiful when it's done.

The handle is opal with more white in it, and the blade itself is pure blues, reds, and purples. The gem in the hilt is a bright emerald, one that perfectly matches Opheila's eyes. Rose takes the sword outside to sharpen, and Harry watches in wonder as the sparks fly around it. The elf has her metallic hair tied back, but it still whips around her face.

Finally, Rose hands it to him. "Now, we just need to place wards on it."

"Wards?"

She nods. "You can store energy in the gem, and we'll give it our enchantments to make it stronger."

She leads him through the spells, drilling them before he speaks so he doesn't twist the words. The work is draining, and Harry gets pulled entirely into it, losing track of the world besides Rose and Opheila, who he draws upon for strength.

Finally, Rose brings him out of his stupor with a grin. "It's finished."

Harry sighs in relief. Rose presents him with an opal sheath; one side has Opheila carved and the other has Harry, in the exact same writing that's on Louis'. Opheila is pleased with the final product, giving it a long sniff and grinning at Rose. The old elf had chuckled and patted the dragon on the nose, startling her with her boldness.

Louis is waiting outside with Garza when Rose lets him go with a big hug and his promise to visit next time he was here. "How long were you waiting?" Harry asks.

"Not that long," he says, straightening up from where he was leaning on his dragon. "Garza said Opheila said you were still working, so I waited for you." He gives Harry a chaste kiss. "Can I see it, then?"

Harry pulls the sword out from the belt Rose had given him and holds it out on two hands. Louis lets a noise of appreciation, running a finger down its surface. "It's beautiful," he murmurs. "I love the colors."

Harry grins. "Me too."

"Alright." He shoots Harry a grin. "I have another date planned. But we have to go home for it."

"To Sunstar?"

Louis nods, kissing him quickly again. "I promise you'll like it. I think. I hope."

"Of course I like it. You couldn't do something I didn't like."

Louis laughs, eye crinkles in full effect. "That was so sappy."

Harry shrugs and tightens his hand in his. "Let's go."

694 words