Prologue

Abigail is your above-average teenager because of her intelligence. She skipped ahead a couple of grades. The teen now has to survive high school at age 14. She hates being smart, but she got that from her dad. She looks exactly like her mom Jane. She has long brown hair and hazel eyes.

Abigail had an ok childhood. She spent the first four years of her life in a nice house in Clayton, Georgia. Jane, a lab tech, and Jay, a scientist, worked together at the local science lab in town. The one day she wished was only a bad dream, but she knew it had happened.

She was four years old, and she and her parents were on the way back home from the zoo. The car is at a stop light and a huge truck ram the car's rear end. The impact causes the car to go into the air. When it lands, it rolls several times as it goes down a steep hill. She remembers waking up in the back of an ambulance next. The paramedic tells her that she is going to be all right. They are taking her to the hospital to have her checked out. She asked the paramedic where her mommy and daddy were. The paramedic tells her they are in heaven.

Now back to the present, Abigail is living in an orphanage. Her only friend Michelle got adopted a few days ago, so now she is alone again. Now leaning against her bedroom door and hears the people in charge, Maya and Miguel, talking. They said she was a great kid, but not many families wanted a child with her intelligence. Abigail couldn't believe what she had just heard.

All those kids who picked on me were right. I'm never going to find a family.

She did the only thing that would help everyone. She grabbed whatever she could fit in the book bag hanging on the desk chair (an emergency kit, first aid kit, a few changes of clothes, and a couple of big bottles of water). She puts it on her back and opens the bedroom window. She sets the fire escape ladder in the window, climbs down, and runs away as fast as her legs can carry her. A few hours later, Baroness showed up at the orphanage's door.

"Yes, Cobra commander, I will make sure I come back with this, Abigail." She says of her communicator.

"Good," Cobra commander says.

"Hello, I'm Maya, and this is Miguel. You are the women who called about wanting to adopt Abigail?" Miguel says. "Yes, people call me Baroness," Baroness says.

"Well, come in; I'll get Abigail and tell her the good news," Maya says.

Baroness enters the orphanage and goes to the office with Miguel. Maya goes to Abigail's room and knocks on the door.

"Abigail, someone is here to see you. Abigail?" Maya says.

Maya didn't hear a response from the other side of the door. She opens the door slowly and walks inside. The first thing she notices is the fire escape ladder hanging out of the window.

"Oh no, she must have heard what we said a few hours ago," Maya says.

She turned around quickly and ran back to Miguel. Maya enters the office out of breath.

"Maya, what's wrong?" Miguel asks.

"It's Abigail. She's gone," Maya answers.

"What do you mean she's gone? Don't you people keep an eye on the brats, I mean kids?" Baroness asks.

"Yes, we do, but we never thought that Abigail would run away. She is such a sweet kid." Maya answers.

"You said she was really smart, right?" Baroness asks.

"Yes, I did," Maya answers.

"Abigail must have thought that she would never find a home and thought it would be a lot better off if she weren't here," Miguel says. "Where would she get an idea like that?" Baroness asks.

"Well, she must have overheard us talking a few hours ago about how we thought she would never get adopted because she was so smart," Maya says.

Since the kid isn't here, I'll have to find her myself. Baroness thought. She thanks the two for wasting her time and leaves the office. She stands outside the orphanage and calls the commander back.

"Sir, we have a problem." She says into her communicator.

"What kind of problem, Baroness?" Cobra commander asks.

"The girl ran away from the orphanage." She answers.

"I guess you'll have to find her, won't you? That girl is a big part of my latest plan." Cobra commander says.

"Yes, sir, I know I will bring her to you." She says.

Then Storm Shadow appears in front of her. He offers to help her find Abigail and bring her back to Cobra. Then ninja streaks into the forest.