t y l e r

At 3:30 I get a text.

(xxx) xxx-xxxx
Hey, it's Josh. This is Tyler, right?
:)

I smile at my phone. Perfect. He actually read the note I left him after class. I decide to text him back immediately.

Me
Yeah, it's Tyler

(xxx) xxx-xxxx
Oh thank god. I switched up the last two numbers last time and got some weird girl who wanted to keep talking and be bf and gf even though I don't know her. I said no. Then she said she's a witch and will cast a spell of harm or something my way...

(xxx) xxx-xxxx
It was weird... :/

(xxx) xxx-xxxx
But I blocked her, so we're good

Me
Woah. That sounds like crazy fan girl material right there. Well you got the right number now. So umm, do you want to hang out tonight? Like at 4:30? I have to finish some stuff here anyway

Me
Oh yeah, do you wanna come here, or stay at your place... or somewhere totally different..? Anything is fine with me

(xxx) xxx-xxxx
Your place sounds good. Do you live on campus? Because I do. I don't have a car because I spent most of my money on college. So if you do... could you pick me up? Thanks 😊

Me
Yep. No problem. I have my own house. So I'll see you in an hour or so

I tidy up the house and make it look presentable for Josh, which it just doing my laundry for once and throwing away the trash in the living room and kitchen. When I finish, it's just after 4, I text him that I'm coming. He responds that he's in the second boys' dorm building, since most of his classes are on one side of the campus and that he's on the second floor. I leave my house and get in my car. I drive the 10 miles to the boys' dorm.

(xxx) xxx-xxxx
My room number is 21

I mentally congratulated him. Only the odd numbered dorm rooms were singles. So he didn't have a roommate, which could be nice and bad at the same time. My first two years in college I lived on campus with two other roommates. And it was living hell. The guys were cool and all... but it just didn't work. And this year I had enough money to buy my own house. It's small, and a two story. Good enough for me living on my own...

I took the stairs to his apartment. And knock. I wait a few seconds until I hear an 'I'm coming' in a sing-song voice. In a few short seconds, Josh opens the door. With clothes that are a little different than his attire yesterday. More... vivid.
More... colorful.
More...
Childish.

"We goin' ta your place now?" He asks me rocking back in forth on his feet, hands behind his back.

"Yep. Didn't forget anything?"

"Uhh... nope!" He says patting his pockets with a smile. With that, we both head to my car. The drive for the most part was silent, except for the radio playing some popular pop song everyone has heard hundreds of times in the last month.

When we pull up into my house I see that Josh looks fascinated.

"A two story house?!?" He says eagerly, doing the best he can to jump up and down in his seat.

"Heh, yep. Did you not grow up in one?" I asked puzzled at his reaction to a typical family home.

"No, I didn't. Ma family an' I lived n' a trailer park. It was boring." Josh said in a sad tone.