t y l e r

We're having steak and alfredo noodles for dinner. Yes, I know, a wee bit fancy for the baby. If he doesn't want it, I have apples, strawberries, and oranges. So I can make him a fruit salad instead. I finish cooking and setting the table with our food around 5 o'clock. I decide that I'll start to wake him up. Praying he won't wake up cranky, I walk up the stairs and into my bedroom.

One of Josh's legs is mostly straight, bending just barely, while the other is completely bent, as if he was sitting with his legs criss-crossed (applesauce). His arms were on either side of his head in loose fists, just like a baby. And surprisingly, his paci was still in his mouth.

(I don't think I described his position well enough sooo.... here a pic of what I mean. Except one of his legs is much straighter than the other)

 Except one of his legs is much straighter than the other)

I walk over to him quietly, sitting next to him on my bed. I rub his shirt covered tummy, making Josh sigh loudly. I continue to rub his belly until his beautiful eyes flutter open.

"Hello, my little prince," I whisper. "Did you have a good nap?"

Josh reaches for me. I stand up, and happily pick him up. He starts to whine and cry. I bounce and shush him in my arms, occasionally whispering softly in his ear 'I love you', 'you're Daddy's good boy' and 'you're okay... Daddy's got you'. But none of that calms him down. He clutches my shirt with a death grip. I pat his padded bum like parents usually do with infants. That's when I find out that his bum is warm. I let my hand travel down to his front, which is very warm and sagging just a little bit. I keep my hand there just to make sure that it was true. Josh kept squirming under my touch so I removed my hand and laid him down on my carpeted floor. The second I stopped holding him he started to wail. It only took a few seconds for me to get a diaper and wipes, along with a snap crotch onesie with a bottle. As quickly as I can, I clean him up and take off his shirt and put on the purple onesie with the bee on him. I snap the crotch closed and turn around to throw the used diaper away. When I come back Josh has stopped crying for the most part. I lean down and hoist him into my hip, grabbing the bottle next to him. Most likely from still being tired, Josh nuzzles into my shoulder. I take ourselves down into the kitchen. I sit him down on his chair, while setting the bottle on the table. I walk around to my side of the table and sit down. Josh starts to whine and reach for me, his dark mocha eyes threatening to create rivers on his perfect cheeks.

"Honey, can you eat some noodles for me please? You don't have to eat the meat, only the noodles. Please, baby?"

He just shakes his head no and sobs, still reaching across the table for me. I think of a way to compromise with him, even though I know it won't work, but I go for it anyway.

"If I feed you will you eat it? Will that be better?"

I can tell Josh is trying to speak, but his voice keeps getting snagged on the crying and small sobs escaping his lips. I can tell it's a no though. I take a few bites of my noodles and steak. Throughout my short mealtime I gave myself, Josh keeps crying and whining, and... ya know... being my little baby like he always is. Even though as of this moment he is much smaller than usual. I "finish" my dinner so I can care for my little boy. I get up from the table while wiping my mouth with a napkin.