- chapter 4 -

chapter 4:

"We need to talk to you." Lillian said, sitting down in front of me. I looked up from my book and saw Lillian and Cloé sitting in front of me, looking serious.

"About what?" I asked, shutting my book and moving it to one side.

"About Daniel." Lillian said.

"About Louis." Cloé added.

"What about them?" I frowned, although I knew it would be about last night.

"What is going on Mila?" Lillian frowned. "And don't say nothing because we aren't stupid. Last night wasn't nothing, something happened, and you need to tell us about it now." She added.

I sighed and looked down at my half-eaten food. I wanted to be left alone, that's why I hadn't met up with them before school. I felt lost and sad and many other things that I can't even describe. What happened the previous evening had left me confused and hurt. I did not feel like talking about because I still don't fully understand what happened.

"Mila is something going on between you and Louis?" Lillian asked gravely.

I looked up in shock. "No!" I said a little too loud, causing a few looks from surrounding students. "No." I repeated, looking down at the table again.

"Then why is Daniel so pissed?" Lillian asked, reaching out to touch my hand. "You can talk to us Mila, we are you best friends." She added.

I looked up and touched her hand. Making eye contact with her I said as plainly as I could, "Nothing is going on between Louis and me." I said, ignoring the tensing feeling that was growing in my chest. "He was alone and in pain. He needed someone and nobody else was here." I continued. "We are strictly friends, I could never, ever, ever do that to Daniel!" I said firmly.

Lilian looked like she believed me, but as I glanced over to Cloé I noticed she had a pondering look on her face. It was like she wanted to say something but couldn't bring herself to do it. That was until Lilian looked over to her and nodded.

"Mila, I need to tell you something." She finally said. "You need to be careful with Louis."

In all honestly, that was not what I had expected to hear. "Why?" I demanded.

"As you know I broke up with him." She sighed. "He hadn't done anything wrong and you both know that I was falling in love with him, but that is precisely why I had to do it. In the few months we dated each other I could always tell that he was thinking about somebody else. The way he would kiss me and then blink... it was as if he was trying to shatter an illusion. Mila, I know that this might be hard to hear, but I truly believe he was thinking about you." She explained.

"But why Cloé? It can't possibly be true, why would he set Daniel and me up?" I questioned.

"I don't know Mila." Cloé shrugged. "I just always got the feeling that he was happier when he was around you. And..." She trailed off, looking down at the table, just like I had done when I felt embarrassed. "... I caught him looking at you a few times, and the way he looked at you... well it's the way that every girl wants to be looked at. He never looked at me that way..." She murmured. Lilian reached out and touched her shoulder in a comforting way.

I started at her, dumbly. It couldn't be true because it made no sense. Why would he date one of my best friends, and then set me up with his best friend? No person in their own mind would do that because either way it would end up in a disastrous situation.

I didn't want to believe her because I knew that it wasn't true, but nevertheless the tenseness in my chest had slowly started to disappear as my brain started to imagine the incident that Cloé had described. Me talking to Lilian with Louis's eyes focused on my face, smiling at me. But then Cloé turning to Louis expecting to see his eyes on her, but instead his eyes focused on me...