Prologue

Raizada Mansion, New Delhi

9.00 am

"Everything must be perfect!" a dashing man in his thirties walked down the stairs of the big mansion with Bluetooth glued to his ear, "I don't want anything incomplete for my nephew's 1st birthday party!" Dressed in a black-black three piece suit, his Rolex watch shining on his wrist, he switched off the Bluetooth and walked to the dining table where his family had assembled for breakfast.

"Good morning Chotte" his sister greeted him cheerfully and he nodded. Sitting on the seat next to his brother he watched the one year old baby boy playing on his father's lap.

The baby looked up from his father's button he was chewing to see his favourite person sitting next to him. He squealed and made grabby hands towards his chachu who took him smiling.

Akash smiled as his son climbed on his brother like a monkey and clinged on his tie. He patted his brother's cheeks and kissed it dripping it with his saliva.

"Good morning baby" Arnav cooed as he kissed his favourite boy's cheeks, "Khana khaya?" (Had your food?)

The boy nodded no and made some noises while Akash forwarded Arnav the bowl of food for the baby.

Everyone smiled as Arnav started feeding the boy. It was a ritual! The boy would never eat from anyone but Arnav! If anyone would walk into the dining room of Raizadas they would coo at the sight of Arnav and his son. And the whole family would have to correct them that one year old Ayaan is not Arnav's son but his brother's son. But they wouldn't do that! They would never dare to take away the only person who can make their Chotte smile.

Payal served everyone parathas and placed toasts on Arnav's plate. Everyone silently took their breakfast smiling at Ayaan's antics.

"Hello hi bye bye" mami said breaking the silence, "It's our cutie pie's 1st birthday! And look at him! Not at all aware of the important day!"

Everyone chuckled and watched little Ayan who was clutching on Arnav's hand which was feeding him.

"It'll be a blasting party!" Akash said and looked at Arnav who nodded.

"Time flies!" Nani said smiling sadly, "It's been a year since Ayaan's birth! It's been three years since...."

Nani stopped herself and looked at Arnav who had his jaw clenched. He silently fed Ayan and chose not to respond. The dining table fell silent and everyone looked at each other not knowing what to say.

"I wish she was here" Payal whispered, "She would be the one running around to make this day perfect"

Arnav drew a sharp breath and handed Ayaan to Akash. Ayaan whined and forwarded his hands to Arnav who stood up and took his coat. He turned and left but not before giving a kiss to the baby boy.

.

.

.

.

.

AR Fashions, New Delhi

9.30 am

Employees who were busy gossiping ran to their places when they saw Aman Mathur running towards the main door. Aman Mathur sprinting as if his ass is on fire is their cue to know that their boss has stepped into the AR premises. The receptionist dumped her makeup kit into her bag and hurriedly took her seat placing her sweet smile intact on her face. She could see the black Audi that has stopped in front of the front door and Aman rushed to the right side of the car. She craned her neck to see her boss getting out of the car and nodding at Aman's greeting. Aman opened the back door of the car and took the laptop bag of his boss.