A Visit From Anjali

Ayaan wailed loudly and crawled to the other end of the bed when Laxmi, Nani's pet goat, climbed on Arnav's bed and approached the boy. He screamed and burst into tears as the goat came near him. Laxmi, being the harmless creature she is, bent down and rubbed her face on his small legs.

Arnav ran to him and picked the boy up in his arms. Shooing Laxmi away, he walked to the poolside with the baby who had now stopped crying. He sat on the poolside slab dipping his legs in water and having a firm clutch on Ayaan who was bending down from his arms to touch water.

The boy giggled and clapped his hands happily as Arnav lifted him in air and slowly brought him down just enough for his legs to touch the water. He kicked his legs happily splashing water everywhere.

Placing the boy in his lap and cuddling him, Arnav rested his head on him. Suddenly he wished Hiya to be in Ayaan's place. How would it be if it was his Hiya? Will she clap her hands like Ayaan? Will she also giggle uncontrollably like the boy in his arms?

Meeting with Arhan was least pleasing. After telling them the whole past he had lashed out on Arnav, thinking that he agreed with his sister.

His mind went back to the night, the night before she left.

.

Khushi walked into the room angrily and slammed the door shut. Locking it she walked to the wardrobe and took her night clothes.

Arnav sat up on the bed, biting his lips, waiting anxiously for her to come out.

Moments passed and Khushi walked out in her night dress. Braiding her hair, she walked to the bed and slid into the covers. "Khushi...." he called out but she turned her back and switched off the lights.

He sighed and laid next to her. Turning to her side, he wrapped his arm around her waist, just for her to shove it away. He again wrapped his arm around her, this time stronger, and pulled her to him. Her back hit his chest and she said angrily, "Leave me!"

"Listen to me first" he said softly.

She stopped struggling and he said, "I'm sorry for asking that earlier. I will not bring him here. It's a promise!"

"As if you're a pro in keeping promises!" she scoffed without turning.

"This one will be kept" he said firmly, "Please trust me!"

"Trust!" she said, her voice cracking, "I hate that word!"

He held her arm and turned her to him. Under the moonlight he could see her cheeks strained with tears and her eyes red. He caressed her cheek and said, "I love you"

She looked at him blankly. Without responding for a while, she asked, "And di?"

"I love her too! She is a mother to me!" holding her waist he drew her more close and said, "and you are my lifeline!"

"Will you do anything for di?" she asked slowly.

"Yes" he said nodding.

"Without a second think?" she asked her insides burning at his words.

"Yes! I'll bring the world to her feet!" he said.

She nodded and hugged him. He smiled and hugged her back. Little did he know that his answers had broken her beyond repair!

He felt her hand in his back sliding up to his shoulders as she buried her face in his crook of neck. "I love you" she whispered in a slow voice. He smiled and kissed her hair. "I love you too" he whispered in her ear.