[CHAPTER ELEVE] The after-effects...

Chapter Eleven

The after-effects almost killed me...

That guy for sure has some problems,” Avril said as he entered the driver’s seat. We brought Maisen to his home because he was already asleep when he came. He was too drunk that Avril and I even had to carry his weight to the car which was very difficult because he for sure was muscular and his weight was not feathery. When we got to his house, Avril even called other persons from his household to carry him inside because he was really asleep and did not wake up.

            I roamed my eyes to his house. It was huge. Avril mentioned that he had no sibling, his mother died, and his father was busy at work. So it was only him and the helpers who were living at that very big house. Maisen got several cars on his huge parking lot and their lawn looked like a golf course in width. It was not a just a house. It was a mansion. It was probably sad there. He had no one with him everyday, and if ever his father would be home, for sure communication was hard in a house as big as his. I pitied him, and felt blessed for myself because ours was just a quarter of theirs but our family was close to each other. I wished I could take Maisen to our home and involve him to our family bondings.

            Avril drove his car silently. I took the chance to ask him what I had in mind for long that night, “Avril… Isn’t he… M-Maisen, right? M-Mark Isen de la Fuente? Of Kyela Marjorene?”

            “Yeah. Why?” he glanced at me when he seemed to remember something. “Ah! You are a fan of Kyela Marjorene. How could I forget that?”

            I was not asking because I was a fan of Kyela Marjorene, but because I could not believe all that Maisen said. That he really liked me. And he was finding me. “Is he… your friend?”

            “Yeah. Long ago. Actually, I should have been part of Kyela Marjorene, too. But I transferred to your school remember?” He smiled. “You want to meet the guy?” I shook my head in refusal. “Sheesh! My baby girl is shy! Don’t worry, I’ll invite the band to sing on my wedding day so you can meet them.”

            Avril mentioning the wedding made me remember something worth forgetting. “Avril, is Maisen getting married?” I almost whispered. If there was one thing that broke my heart that night, it was when he said that. How could that happen?

            “Maisen’s getting married? Who told you?”

            “He told me.”

            “Ah… So you talked to him.” He nodded then opened the radio of his car in low volume. “Maisen was really a lady-killer ever since we were in high school. He had tons of girlfriends and it even became our hobby to sit under the mango tree and count how many of the girls that we see had become his girlfriend.” He laughed as he shook his head. “It’s good to hear that. Maybe he really has fallen in love.”

            I suddenly  clutched on my seatbelt. I felt like our car crashed and the impact was strong. It was so strong I felt my head was shaken and I did not want to remember anything anymore.

            “But we don’t know. He’s drunk. It’s either what he said was the hidden truth, or just hidden desires.” 

             It’s either what he said was the hidden truth, or just hidden desires.

            I tighten my hold on my seatbelt. Avril’s words reiterated on my ears. Was Maisen’s marriage a hidden truth, or just what he wanted? I suddenly felt a thrust on my chest. The thing that he said about us going to some other place and leaving everything behind, it was not a hidden truth, so was it what he wanted to happen? My mind was curling and knotting. I suddenly felt my heartbeat on rush again; I just wanted to think my blood cells were racing to get through their work because they had to sleep already. But no, they were racing because I was feeling something I was not used to. I was feeling something for the first time.