[CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE] When destiny...

Chapter Twenty-Three

When destiny calls for it

The room was getting colder. Midori had her fingers clenched on the blanket. I wrapped it to her more and minimized the ventilation. Studying Medicine, it wa sonly know that I realized how gloomy the white hospital walls were. It would make any patient more sick than they were.

            “Maisen…”

            I looked at the door and found Avril standing there. I could not say anything but, “Avril, let me ex—”

            “You have to leave now.” He came to Midori and put another blanket on her.

            “But—” I was about to explain when he cut me mid-sentence.

            “Maisen, you don’t have to explain anything. I already know the truth. Jane called and explained everything to me. I’m s so sorry for jumping into conclusions without even asking you. But you really have to leave.”

            I asked in confusion, “Why?”

            “Violet is waiting for you outside. Just ask him why.”

            Before I could even do what he said, the door opened and Violet came in. “Maisen, your Dad…” he paused. His voice was somewhat shaky and worry could be traced all over his face. “He had his attack.” My mouth hung open in shock. No words would come out of my mouth. “He knew about your denial of your marriage to Sirri. I don’t clearly know why but from what I heard from my Dad, te Gustavs turned down their support to your hospitals. And what’s even worse,” he breathed deeply before he revealed, “Your Dad already signed the papers to hand down your hospital at the capital.”

            I heaved out a sigh and turned my head to Midori who was peacefully asleep. I already that this day would come. But I did not expect happened to my Dad.  I would not deny how I inched away from my Dad because of what happened between us. From that day on, I neither went home nor see him at work. But he’s still my father. And it’s a fact I could not change. 

            “Maisen, just go and do what your Dad asks you to do.”

            I knotted my forehead as I looked at Avril who was keeping the sheets straight for Midori to sleep comfortably. “I will be back—”

            “You don’t really have to be back,” he surprisingly uttered.

            “But why?”

            “Your family must depend on the Gustavs. So go. Marry Sirri if your Dad asks you for it.”

            Violet looked at me, obviously surprised of what he heard, too. “But Avril… You know I can’t. I love your sister. I’m sticking to that fact,” I protested.

            “But you have no life with my sister,” Avril let out a deep sigh which tightened my heart. “Only miracle can save Midori now. With her condition,” he sighed before he spoke. “I— I don’t know how short time would be. The doctor already said a month or less.”

            My knees shook and my whole body weaken, I almost crumbled down because of what I heard not only if Violet was not able to catch me. “W-What? I mean… what? And you could just say that easily? How could you Avril? How could you just accept that?”