Catch up.

Sydney

I couldn't believe how much she'd changed. She looked so like me. Her big brown eyes were sparkling and her hair was much darker than mine.

"Brooke, you look so different." I said engulfing my little sister in a tight hug.

"Mum always says I look like you." She whispered.

"I missed you so much Sydney, since you left it's not been the same." She choked out.

"Hey, stop crying. I'll always be here for you, no matter what." I said wiping away her tears with my thumb.

We carried her bags into my room and started putting her clothes into the spare draws I had left.

After we'd done that we decided to have a cup of tea and a catch up.

"So Brooklyn, what's wrong?" I asked sitting down at the kitchen table.

"It would be easier if you asked what was right." She said letting a tear fall down her cheek.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"These past two years have been shit. I've fucked my life up so much. I've been used, bullied, I've lost all my friends and mum and dad just don't understand why I tried to do it." She whispered.

"Tried to do what?" I asked.

"Kill myself." She choked out.

My mouth dropped open. I couldn't believe that she'd ever try to do that. That she felt so worthless that she felt the only option left was to take her own life.

"It all happened because of one stupid mistake. A guy used me for sex at a party, everyone at the school knew within a few days, I was bullied for it and then I lost all my friends." She whispered.

"Do mum and dad know?" I asked.

"Yeah, but they don't understand why I tried to take my life." She said.

"I should of stayed, for your sake." I said letting a tear fall down my cheek.

"You didn't know." She argued.

"I should of stayed in touch though." I choked out.

"You're entitled to your own life."She said taking my hands.

"If I stayed at home, none of this would of happened!" I shouted.

"You didn't know it was going to happen. I did it to myself. None of it was you." She whispered holding one of her wrists.

I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Let me see your wrists." I demanded.

"No." She said, her big brown eyes wide as she hid her arms underneath the table.

"Let me see them Brooke!" I shouted, grabbing them and pulling up her sleeves.

I gasped as I studied both her arms. There were deep scars that covered her arms, a few that were more recent than the rest.

"Please stop." I cried.

"I'm sorry." She said her eyes flooding with tears.

"How could I not notice." I whispered.

"You weren't there, you didn't know." She cried.

"I should of been." I said resting both my hands on the table as I watched the tears fall from my cheeks onto the glass.

"Promise me you won't hurt yourself again?" I said looking into her eyes.

She contemplated for a moment.

"You're hurting me when you hurt yourself." I said taking her hands in mine.

"But what if things get really bad again and you aren't there to calm me down and to tell me that I'm good enough." She asked worry filling her voice.

"I'll always be here for you. Wherever I am in the world." I smiled.

She nodded, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"I love you Brookie." I whispered into her hair.

"I love you too Syd and I promise." She whispered back.

----------------------------------------------