Chapter Eight

Without a second thought, we both took our letters and sat on the couch near the window:

                 Dearest Lenora,

                 I know I must’ve caught all of you by surprise, but it had to be done. This is a big risk that I am taking with Jerrold and you, but I’m absolutely convinced that the both of you are capable. I can only imagine what must be running through your mind, but I want you to know not to fret. Don’t worry about what the others will say, for you should only look onto the Lord’s judgment. I know that your cousin Olivia is very hard headed and will try to lower your self esteem but do not fret, my dear, she should not be any of your concern. I highly encourage you to look up to Anna, such a delegate creature with a heart of gold. She is just four years your senior and wise beyond her years, the kind of young woman I hope you can become. You see, Lenora, it is not about where you come from but who you become. Now take my words and let those that I have prepared to guide you do their duties.

                                            Forever and always –R

A stray tear ran down my face, what did my father have in mind? I looked up to see my brother looking out the window once more. “What has Dad written to you?” I asked.

“What your father has written to you is for your eyes to see only,” responded Anna, “His specific instructions.”

“You heard Miss Anna,” Jerry smiled, “I can’t say I word.” Anna blushed as my brother walked past by her, exiting out of the library.

“Where do you plan to go?” I asked dumbfounded.

“I plan to find Gil. He said something about a game of cards.” I could hear Jerry’s voice echo in the library.

“Well I suppose I could follow him.” But before I could move Anna took hold of my arm.

“I’m sorry my lady, but seeing as I will be tutoring you from now on, there’s a book that I have in mind for you to start reading.” Anna goes to the to the other side of the large library and picked out a book and handed it to me, “Hamlet. I know it’s not quite the most feminine story, but it’s full of literature that will hope you grow in knowledge and—“

“Don’t worry Miss Anna, I’ve already started to read it. So I suppose I can go and scurry on and help my brother find his friend.”

“Oh well, if that’s the case, I cannot see why you can’t finish today and be ready for an essay in the morning.” She said with giddy. I often thought I was the only girl who loved literature in this large world, but I suppose that Anna Hall won.

“I suppose.” I sighed.

“Lovely! There’s a nice bench over in the gazebo. I often read there myself, perhaps you might like to.” She pointed out.

So I took Anna’s advice and walked out towards the garden. Livingstone Abbey must’ve been forty acres of pure beauty. There was a fountain in the center of the lawn in front of the stairs to the opening of the large doors to the gardens. Behind the fountain were many different flowers with a hill and river in the background covered in snow to give the home a nice countryside feel to it.

It was indeed chilly outside, but I didn’t mind it. Snow trickled ever so slightly down to my toes. I wrapped the scarf around my neck tighter. Finding myself Anna’s bench, I took a seat and tried to mimic Anna’s stature of elegance as I sat down. After all, Father did tell me to look up to her. I opened Hamlet and began to read, but soon enough my thoughts defeated my interest in the literature. In just a few days, I felt that my brother was no longer who I remembered him to be. We’d always been so close, but now he was more interested in his new handsome friend. Gilmore Yeardley. To be honest, Jerry was my only confidant and I couldn’t bare to lose him. At the moment I decided that even though Gilmore was the most attractive young man I’d ever met, I could no longer find myself intrigued with him if he desired to take my brother away from me.

Hamlet, I see.” Gilmore.

I turned around, “Yes, yes it is.”

“It’s quite chilly outside don’t you think?”

“You know, my brother is looking for you.”

“Oh really?” He sat himself next to me, “Well, I suppose I could go find ‘em.”

“Get to it then,” I looked down at the pages trying to look busy.

“If ya don’t want to chat then I will get on to it.” He sounded slightly hurt.

He was about to get up, yet my curiosity got the better of me, “Why do you want ‘chat’? There’s nothing much to me.”

“Ah, but that’s where you’re wrong dear Lenora. From the moment I’ve met you I knew you were different.”

“It’s because I’m American, isn’t it?”

“Not just that,” he chuckled, “You’re just something I can’t describe.”

“Well that’s a shame.” I looked down.

“All the more reason to get to know you.” He warmly smiled.

“You could always ask my brother, he knows everything about me.”

“I’d rather find out on my own.”

“There you are Gil!” Jerry’s voice ringed out, “How about that game of cards you talked about?”

“Ah yes, lad, I almost forgot. Let’s get to it then, ay?” He smiled as Jerry and he go off on their way, “We’ll chat some more won’t we Lenora?”

“As long as you can call me Lenny. I can’t stand being called Lenora.” I said blushing.

“Lenny, hmm, alright. Well, I’m not much interested in being called Gilmore, so you can call me Gil.”

“Alright Gil.” I smiled.

I watched the two fade into the distance as I thought of how my life was changing right before my eyes. Whatever my father wanted for Jerry and I would not fight it, even if meant to live with my vile family. Sooner or later they’d have to learn to like me.

I spent the rest of my morning reading until I could no longer stand Hamlet’s paranoid nature and the cold weather turning my nose into an icicle. Deciding to set my curiosity free and explore my new home, I left Anna’s bench and ran for the mansion.

Not knowing where to turn first, I went for my gut feeling and ran up the stairs and opened a huge mahogany door. As the door opened and huge wave of air pulled me aback a little. A huge window was looking out onto the gardens while a beautifully polished piano sat near it. The walls were painted a nice maroon color with portraits of different family members of long ago. On the far left there was a small office space with large chair cushioned with a coffee colored material. The desk was very wide and had an emblem on the front, almost one of a cross with vines wrapping around it. Behind it was a small library with ancient looking books. I walked over to it enchanted.

“What are you doing?” A voice behind me asked. I turned to find Olivia elegantly walking towards me, “This a strictly forbidden room, Cousin Lenora.”

“Oh, I didn’t know. It was opened and—“

“Never mind that, I have been looking all over the place for you.” She took a seat on one of the settees across from the piano, “Anna showed me your wardrobe and I must say, darling, you have a most peculiar style.”

“Well, to be honest, I haven't gotten new clothes since I was twelve.” I followed her and sat next to her.

“That’s a pity shame. Lucky for you, I’m quite into the fashion of France and I find it as a moral obligation to help my dear cousin.”

“Oh, you really don’t have to.”

“Oh but I must! We have a reputation to uphold and your clothes don’t quite fit it. I had Mademoiselle Sherrie come to take your measurements and I even have an old dress for  you, come.” Olivia took hold of my hand and dragged me out of the room.

For someone who had a mother like Henrietta Scott, Olivia was more pleasant than I expected. Maybe I had prejudged her wrongly.