Chapter Five

He seemed so peaceful as he slept. A slow hum came from his lips and his body slowly as he tossed and turned in his bed. All of a sudden, his eyes fluttered opened and looked at me, “Who are you?” His accent thick in his voice.

“I’m you daughter, Lenny. Megan’s daughter” I whispered.

“You? My daughter? You look nothing like my children. And who’s this Megan?” 

“But you’ve got to know who I am!”

“Leave, girl, I’m a sick man.” He lifted his hand.

“But, Dad—“ I whimpered.

“Be gone!”

It was only a dream, only a dream. Sweat ran down my brow as I opened my eyes. What a nasty dream to have, but then a thought started erupting in my mind. What if my father remarried? What if his dying wish was to give Jerry and I money so we would never get in the way of his other family? No, no, my father cannot be like that. No…

That thought stuck to me the whole two-day boat trip to England; I tried not letting it affect me, but what if it was the truth?

“Land ho!” Yelled the captain as we neared the dock.

“Are we in Northumberland, yet?” Jerry asked anxiously.

“Alas, no sir. We have another trip by train until then,” replied Frank.

I had never seen such beautiful scenery as we passed the rolling hills of England covered in snow by train. The sky was mildly sunny as the clouds crowded over the sun. The lakes were frozen and white as an fur coat I'd ever seen, nor did majestic mansions that homed the privileged never ceased to amaze me.

“Anything on your mind, Miss Lenora?” Frank asked. It was as if he had read my mind.

“Well, um, yes,” I sighed, “It’s about my dad. Did he…um…ever get married after he came back to Northumberland?”

“When your father came back, his heart wrenched. Sir Fredrick was dying and soon enough, God rest his soul, he departed us. Now, your father, being the eldest, had to stay longer than he wanted. Plan the funeral and the will hearing. He told her ladyship that he would like to bring the three of you over to the mansion, but she would have none of that. Her ladyship believed that your mother was after the money and didn’t want that sort in her presence. Naturally, Richie defended his wife and reminded her ladyship that no one in the United States knew of his life as an heir. Yet, her ladyship refused to hear any more of his ‘nonsense’. He truly did want you all with him, but life isn’t always fair, I suppose. There wasn’t a day he wouldn’t talk of his beloved family in America.”

“He still wanted us?” I began to have a giddy expression on my face.

“Yes, but—“ Henrietta entered into our conversation.

“Lovely chat, I see?” She sat herself down next to me, “Don’t mind me, continue on.”

“It’s alright, Aunt Henri, we're done anyways.”

“Don’t you dare call me Aunt Henri! Who do you think you are?” She looked as if she was ready to slap me.

“Well, I’m not calling you so to shame you, really. I just—“

“I do not care! You silly Americans, always coming up for little nicknames for people. My name is Henrietta and that is what I’m expected to be called, is that clear?” She pointed her finger at me.

“Yes, Aunt…Henrietta.”

The rest of the trip was long and tiring. I never once saw Jerry; he seemed to be roaming around, exploring every inch of the train. I tried sleeping, which turned out as lovely as the idea. Difficulty sleeping was definitely a curse of mine. As a child, I’d spend my nights up waiting for Megan to return home, there were days I was worried she never come back. Yet as grew older, I held on to strength that she would return. Megan was still my mother, no matter how much we both wished that wasn’t true. Even though I hated what she became and what people thought, I knew deep down in her heart there was some good waiting to spring out.