Chapter Twenty Three

Something inside wanted to jump around in giddy but I contained it, "What kind of lead?

   "One of my men has been working as a double agent in Berlin and heard about two British spies in a German camp near the border to Austria. He said they fit the description of Jerrold and Gilmore."

    "Are they alright?" I asked. What if they were being totured.

    "I don't know, but I intend to find out. Henry and I will be leaving in a few weeks. We want to make sure it's them." Drew answered with determination.

    "Oh I see." I put my head down.

    "It's going to be alright. I promise." Drew took hold of my hand. I nodded my head as he took me into his embrace.

    "I should probably go to the others of your news." I said as I let go of his embrace.

    "Alright." He smiled. Drew's face was just inches from mine. For a moment there, my heart skipped a beat and I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I don't know how long we stood there but I walked away before anymore thoughts could run through my head.

   Was Drew the one perhaps? No, he couldn't be. Or could he. "Lenora?" Anna's voice stopped me in my tracks.

     "Oh yes?" I said slightly dazed.

     "Are you alright?" She searched my face. 

    "I'm more than alright! Jerrold and Gilmore might've been found!" I said with giddy.

     After the whole household heard of the possibility of finding the boys, joy filled everyone. The next day, Lady Woods invited the hospital committee to visit Livingstone Abbey. They eyed every inch of the mansion to see if it was up to standards. Nurse Rogers was very particular about how she would want everything and after a lot of organizing, the commitee and the Livingstone Household came to an agreement.

     "We will be setted into Livingsto with in the week," Nurse Rogers said as she left, "And our wounded should be by Friday." 

    "Wonderful! We will be here with open arms." Said Lady Woods with a smile as she waved goodbye.

     "Open arms you say? Humph." Grandmother chimed in, "Forty soldiers in my household? Good Lord may You take care of us!" 

     "Well I think it's a wonderful idea." Mother interjected, "To help so many men and give them hope. I'm very proud of all of you."

   One thing about Nurse Rogers was that she did keep her promises. Not only was Livingstone  turned upside down, but ten nurses along with forty men came by Friday. Our billiard room became a recreational room for the men filled with loud noises and the smell of cigar filling our home.

   Most of the men were good to all of us, but there were others who would flirt with us ladies. Henry almost sent a man home who tried to get fresh with Elisa. I spent my days helping about two different men a day with one thing or another. Even Olivia offered herself to help the men. 

  Sooner rather than later, Grandmother Maude warmed up to the idea of our hospital home. The nurses were grateful with the way we organized everything for them with boarding and food which in turn they made sure to make our lives as easy as possible.

     Drew and Henry were often on trips to London talking to contacts. Many leads came up to be false, but that never discourage them at all, they kept searching. "I will find them." Drew said in a letter. I held on to his every word.  

   "Is this true, Drew?" My grandmother eyed him, "Are you sure it's them?"

   "Not at the moment," Drew started, "But we have a good lead and I intend to work with it."