Epilogue

• Dedicated to My Readers

NOVEMBER 1918

   Gil had come to visit every so often, in which he convinced me to start on the wedding plans. I was hesitant at first, but with much joy, Olivia helped me. Even though she now lived in Drew's home, she managed to spend most of her time at Livingstone. Gil could only stay for a few days at a time and if that's all we could have to see each other, then that's all we wanted.

  The war went for another year. I remember the day the newspapers said the ware was over, November 11, 1918. Peace overwhelmed me like no other. No longer would I have to worry about any more wounded and pained soldiers coming onto Livingstone Abbey's steps. 

   By the end of October, many of the nurse and wounded had left our home. It had seemed the war was to it's end. Our home was again ours. At first it felt strange not having a busy household and loud noises, it almost seemed normal to have them around. Well, to be honestly, Grandmother Maude loved not having strangers in house once again.

   Little Ivan began to look more like his father every month. His baby steps were perfected and he was able to work on his own at some times. Elisa was always in joy with her son. I could see it her eyes. Although we weren't truly family, Ivan thought of me as his aunt and would cry if I wouldn't pick him up.

    "You're going to be the perfect mother." Mother laughed as I handed her Ivan.

   I remember the day Jerry came home permanently. Not even Anna could reach him first. I couldn't even let him go. I cried and I cried with pure happiness. My brother was home and wasn't going to leave. "I've missed you so much!"

   "I've missed you more." Jerry touched my nose. 

   Drew and Henry came a few days after Jerry. I never though I'd Olivia cry so much in my life. Drew had gotten a shot to the leg and gotten a nasty infection. He almost lost his leg, but luckily they were able to get the gangrine out before it got any worse. Henry kissed Olivia and picked up Ivan in his arms looking like he would never want to leave this moment.

   Frank stood next to me and I embraced him as I asked the others, "Where's Gil?"

   Drew gave me a concerned look, "He won't be here for another month."

   "What?" I whispered.

  "But let's not worry about that, darling, let's have a good evening and celebrate the end of the war!" 

   I gave Drew a nasty glare and made my way back inside, "It's going to be alright." Frank encouraged. I patted his hand and walked up the stairs to get ready for dinner. 

   Clare was already in my room holding my wedding dress. I titled my head a little confused. "I thought you'd might want to try it on." She smiled. I sighed and nodded my head. 

   I never thought I looked as beautiful as I did that day. The lace wrapped all around my body with cream pearls at the tips of the sleeves and at the end of the dress. Clare began to curl my hair and put the veil on my head. Oh Gil...

   "Len?" Anna's voice rang out. I turned around to see her dressed up elegantly. Almost as if she was dressed for a wedding.

   "Yes?"

   "You're ready! Clare, you did a wonderful job." I was completely dumbfounded with Anna's words, "Let's go, Lenora."

   She led me down the stairs as I saw my brother and he took my arm. Drew and a teary-eyed Olivia followed us. Ivan was outside running in circles around his parents who then followed us. My mother stood next to my grandmother near the courtyard as we made our to the river. Henrietta stood there for a moment and stopped us in our tracks. "I'm very proud of you." She said kissing my cheek. I gave her a hug as we made our way down.