Chapter Twenty One

Megan smiled at me warmly, "Wow Lenny, you've gotten so pretty since last time I saw you!" She came over to hug me as I looked at her dumbfounded. Why is she being so nice?

   "Megan, what are you doing here?" I asked again once she let go of me, "Does my grandmother know you're here. What about Henrietta?" Thoughts overflowed my mind at the idea of Henrietta knowing my mom even sit foot on Livingstone. 

   "Oh no, I just arrived and I asked to see you." She sat down on the plush couch. Something about Megan looked different, the way she walked, the way she talked, even the way her face looked. Almost happy. "Why do you keep staring at me?" Megan laughed.

     "You look different." I cocked my head to the left, "Have you been drinking?"

     "I haven't touched a bottle in two months."

     "Why on earth are you here?!" Exclaimed Henrietta walking with such determination towards Megan.

    "You must be Henrietta. I read about you in the papers on my way here. You have Richard's face." Megan looked at Henrietta up and down.

      "Answer my question--"

     "Megan."

    "Yes, well Megan why on earth are you here?" Henrietta sounded more angry than I anticipated.

    "I'm here to see my children. And tell them--that I'm sorry." Megan whispered. My mouth opened up unexpectedly as I look at the Queen of Lies. 

     Henrietta began to scold her as I left the room wanting to take a walk. Of all the times Megan decided to show up and it had to be now. The ball wasn't too far away and I had too much to worry about without having Megan here. And didn't she know that Jerry wasn't here and no where to be found? 

      I ran up to my room wanting time to myself to think of Megan's actual motives for popping out of nowhere. What if the town found out about her being here? Walking back and forth in room, I tried to alleviate the stress. I don't know how long I was in my room, and to be frank, I didn't care. 

      "Lenora?" I heard Anna's voice at my door, "Can I come in?"

     "Yes." I whispered. 

      As she walked in, Anna looked at me a little worried, "Your mother wants to see you."

     "Tell her, as the lady of this house, I rather not." I defied.

     "It's your grandmother's orders and she's still your elder."

     I gave a deep sigh as I followed Anna into the drawing room where my grandmother stood next to Megan. "Where's Henrietta?"

      "She doesn't need to be here." Grandmother Maude responded, "Let's take a seat. Anna you may leave now." Once Anna left the room Grandmother Maude continued, "Your mother and I have had a long talk while you weren't here. And we have come to a conclusion."

        "Oh really?"

       'Yes, and I have decided to let her stay until your brother's return."

       "I'm sorry?" I asked dumbfounded.

       "It will ultimately be your decision, but I'd like you to hear what she has to say before you make up your mind, child." Grandmother eyed me with authority. I glanced at Megan and closed my eyes while I lifted my hand to signal her to speak.

        "Well," Megan started, "After you and your brother left me in jail, I was angry and felt abandoned but after all those feelings left me, I got to thinking maybe Jerry was right. Maybe I was using you both."