Chapter Twelve

Sir Drew Woods smiled charmingly as he lightly kissed my hand, "Yes, Miss Lenora Upchurch."

       "Isn't this lovely, you two meeting each other?" Olivia clasped her hands.

      "Oh very lovely," If only I could throw daggers with my eyes.

       "Drew, darling, where is your sister Elisa? I haven't seen her in ages?" Olivia grabbed hold on Drew's arm.

     "I do believe she might be dancing with that Mr. Yeardley," he said with disgust.

     "Well, bring her over here!" She snapped. Drew groaned and searched the room for his sister. 

     "I cannot believe that girl." Olivia scoffed.

     "What's wrong with Mr. Yeardley?" I asked angrily.

     She turned to look me straight in the eyes, "He hasn't told you?"

     "Told me what?"

      "Well, Mr. Yeardley was going to elope Elisa." My heart sank a little with her words.

       "Here she is, Elisa meet Lenora the long lost daughter of the Duke of Northumberland." Drew smirked.

        "It's nice to meet you." I extended my hand in greeting.

         Elisa was absolutely beautiful. Her brown hair shined in the candlelight and her warm hazel eyes shyly looking down. Her sapphire gown rolled down body with golden accents. Unlike her brother, Elisa was very quiet and humble, listening to Drew and Olivia babble on about who knows what.

       "Lenora? Would you like to walk the room with me?" Elisa's voice squeaked.

        "Oh yes. I'll see you soon." I said, patting my hand on Olivia's shoulder. I ignored Drew, not giving him satisfaction of attention.

       "So how long have you been here?" Elisa asked.

        "For about a month now."

        "If only I had been here, we could've talked more," she said almost sadly, "I've been working at a hospital in France for the past six months."

       I had to take a moment to take in what she had just told me. Elisa seemed like a kindred soul, to even imagine her in a hospital full of dying men didn't seem to mend well. "It must be difficult. To be around so much grief."

        "It takes time to get used to," she smiled, "I absolutely love your gown! I assume Olivia had Mademoiselle Sherrie design it?"

         "Oh yes, she did. And thank you." I exchanged a smile. I could tell why Gil was smitten with her. She was kind with a honest heart. Yet in a way I wasn't jealous of her, in fact, I wanted to know even more. Unlike Olivia, I felt that I could actually talk to her with it involving fashion or men.

        "Lenny there you are!" I heard Gil's voice behind me. We both turned around, "I see you've met Elisa."

         "She's a gem, Gilmore." Elisa kindly gazed at me.

         "I know," his blue eyes gawked at me, "Do you mind if I sweep her away from you, Elisa?"

        "Not at all."

         So with that Gil took my hand protectively and led me to the dance floor. "I've been looking for you everywhere." He whispered.

        "I'm sorry, Gil. But Olivia wanted me to meet to her fiance" I looked down, "When I saw who it was I--"