Chapter Fifteen

MARCH 1915

       Olivia and I didn't have lessons for a long while after Jerry and Gil left. Anna had succumb to a fever and was sent to rest. I thought it had partly to do with a broken heart. Olivia was quite excited about and spent most of her time going to parties and charity balls to pass the time. Never once did she go and spend time with her beloved Drew. 

       As much as I didn't want to, I nursed Drew when needed. Poor Elisa would spend day and night by her brother's side. Soon enough, Drew recovered from his fever and his ankle stopped swelling.

      Livingstone Abbey was no longer as peaceful as it once was. There was less staff working due to the men leaving. All was left were the older servants who could not serve with as much gusto. There were no men in our home aside from Drew. It was as almost the war had come and bombarded us all.

      There were nights where I'd spend time just writing until the day was anew. Nights when I would dream of Jerry running in the battlefield and bullets flying near him. I'd wait next to my secret room--the room with the piano--and wait to see if a letter would arrive from Gil. But nothing came. I tried not to give up hope, but there were times when I didn't know what to think.

         Aunt Henrietta decided to take us all to Bath, believing we all needed a well deserved holiday. I'd only heard of Bath from my  books. An ancient Roman city, where people would spend time in the arts and poetry. Buildings to this day still have the ancient style of architecture. 

       "Wake up Anna, we're leaving for Bath soon." I opened the window curtains and let the sun come in while Anna's body didn't move a muscle, "I had Clare make your suitcase." Still no movement. "Anna."

        "Please my lady, I do not feel like going." She said amongst her pillows.

     "You're going Anna and that's the end of it. So I suggest you get out of bed." I chided. Eventually Anna did get herself ready and we found ourselves outside and ready to go.

       The ride was quite solemn. My aunt and grandmother talked none stop about a charity fundraiser they planned to go to at Bath. Olivia and Anna kept to themselves while Elisa slept. I looked out the window looking out into the countryside. Drew sat close next to me and I dared not to look his way.

            "Lovely day isn't it?" He asked.

             "Yes." I replied quickly.

             "It's been ages since I've been to Bath. I hear it's lovely this time of year."

             "I guess will find out."

              Drew came nearer to me, "I'm sorry."

              My eyes grew wide, "What?"

             "I'm sorry for what I did. I spent a long while thinking about it, and I realized I was wrong." 

           I eyed him suspiciously. He sounded sincere but Drew was a compulsive liar and I didn't know if was also a good actor. I gave him a quick smile and looked back outside, not talking to him for the rest of the way.

        Bath was more than I could ever imagine. So many ruined buildings filled with history where found every where around out hotel. I felt as if I had just entered into a different era. There were fountains upon fountains trickling water out as people would throw coins making a wish.

         "Don't you love it here, Lenora?" Elisa asked happily.

          "I do." I smiled.