Chapter Sixteen

Frank handed me the letter. It was almost as if he had given a precious gem or gold. My hands started shaking. "Do you plan on reading it?" Frank asked confused on my reaction.

              "What? Oh yes, yes of course." I stuttered. Giving Frank a light pat on the back, I walked off into the courtyard.

                         Lovely Lenny,                                                                                                                                      

                                   As soon as I could find a paper and pen, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Jerry and I are currently in Somme in Northern France at the moment. We've barely gotten training and they already want us up for battle. It's a bloody good thing your brother and I are good shooters or this would be horrid for the both of us. I hope you're holding on well, love. I miss so, but knowing how you are as far as keeping youself busy I'm quite sure you're coping. I honestly do not know when I will see you next, seeing as Jerry is a duke and I, his friend, we might be able to visit in a few months. I haven't even stepped out into war yet and I don't want to go. It sounds unmanly, doesn't it? Not that I don't disagree the Austrians and the Germans, but I know that this war will not be something easy to handle. I love you with all my heart, and Lord willing, I can here from you soon.

                                                                   Always Yours,

                                                                          Gil

                                   P.S. Your brother wanted me to say that He planned to write to you and Anna but there was a lack of supplies. Do not fret for he misses you both greatly.

               Reading this made me miss Gil more than ever, but to know that he was alright sufficed. My heart was beating fast to know that Jerry and Gil were in harms way, but I gave a quick prayer and hoped they would hurry back as soon as possible.

                "A letter from Mr. Yeardley?" Drew asked behind me.

                "Yes." I said a stray tear ran down my face, "He's doing fine, if that's what you're wondering."

                "Not really, but always good to know how another man is doing, I suppose." He shrugged.

               "You do know he never planned to elope your sister? That it was all a scheme made by Olivia to hide the--"

               "I know," Drew said nonchalantly, "Olivia told me."

                My eyes grew wide at how easily he answered such questions, "Then why on earth would you  humiliated Gil that way?"

                Drew scoffed, "He should've never gotten into her business in the first place."

               "How could you say that? Doesn't it concern you that your own fiance was going to leave you for someone else? At least Gil was man enough to confront you about it unlike you who's hiding inside a lie!"

            His hazel eyes suddenly grew darker while his cheeks began to get red, "You don't understand."

          "Oh, I do think I understand Sir Woods. I understand perfectly." With that, I walked off back inside the house, never wanting to see his face every again.

          I was determined not to allow Drew's conversation to put me in turmoil so I decided to write a letter to Gil:

                                 Dear Gil,