Chapter 13: Risking It All

Cuphead and Mugman were running across the field towards Cherry and the Devil. Finger guns were aimed and fired in the direction of the Devil. The Devil glanced over his shoulder, a demonic grin spread across his face. Cuphead and Mugman stopped dead in their tracks when they saw what was in the Devil's hand. A white flame with a pure red heart in the middle. Both their eyes went wide with horror, tears were brimming on the edges of each of their eyes.

"No... No, No, No" Screamed Cuphead as he aggressively grabbed the edge of his head, then like lightning ran towards Cherry with Mugman right behind him.

Cuphead knelt down beside Cherry and rested her head on his lap. She was pale and stone cold. Carefully Cuphead picked Cherry up in a bridal carry and glared towards the Devil. That's when he noticed four more figures standing behind him.

"We'll be back" Growled Cuphead as he and Mugman took off running back towards the Casino, trying to get Cherry somewhere safe.

The Devil chuckled and watch the pair of them run off. He glanced over his shoulder at the four behind him.

"Alexa" Said the Devil as he continued to watch Cuphead and Mugman running off in the distance.

"Yes Sir" Replied a girl with bright green eyes, long flowing brown hair, who was slightly taller than Cherry was.

"Take this" Said the Devil as he placed Cherry's soul into her hand and she placed it into a tiny jar and attracted it to her hip.

"Oh, Oh, Oh... can I go after them and smash them?" Replied Alexa as she clapped her hands together, an evil expression started to cover her face.

"I'm not gonna stop you" Said the Devil as he stepped to the side and allowed Alexa to run after Cuphead and Mugman.

In a couple of seconds Alexa took off running after Cuphead and Mugman.

"Looks like we're one step ahead of you now" Alexa mumbled to herself as she looked over her shoulder back at the Devil and her family.

Meanwhile Cuphead and Mugman were still running to the Casino. As they drew near Cuphead and Mugman started calling out.

"Elder Kettle! Elder Kettle!" Shouted Cuphead and Mugman as they both rushed towards the Casino.

Everyone on the inside of the Casino heard the voices and turned their attention to the door. Suddenly both door flung wide open to reveal Cuphead panting with Cherry in his arms and Mugman panting along with Cuphead. Everyone one was shocked especially Elder Kettle and King Dice. Cuphead rushed over towards Elder Kettle and both of them knelt on the floor. Gently Elder Kettle rested Cherry's head on his lap.

"What happened to her?" Asked Elder Kettle as he looked at Cuphead, then Mugman who was standing next to his brother with a hand resting on his brothers shoulder.

"The Devil... he... he ripped her soul out... we... we didn't make it" Replied Cuphead as he was almost on the verge of tears, Mugman was gently rubbing his back letting a couple of tears fall from his eyes.

"There were four other people there with him" Said Mugman as he wiped a couple of tears away from his eyes, his stained cheeks he wiped away.

"One of them would be me" Interrupted a voice from over by the Casino doors.

Everyone's eyes averted towards the Casino to show Alexa standing there. Cuphead and Mugman were up like a bullet, fingers guns aimed and ready to fire. Alexa could tell she wasn't wanted here at all but remained calm.

"Simmer down Cuphead, Mugman... I'm only here for a couple of things... one of them being to return this" Said Alexa as she pulled the jar off her hip to show everyone Cherry's soul.