o n e

Only one month had gone by since the disappearance of Betty Ripsom. The Ripsom's now only child, Macy, is sat in the last class of the school year waiting for the bell to ring that will insinuate the beginning of summer break.

When the bell rings Macy immediately began making her way towards the girl's bathroom. Weaving her way through the crowded hallway, Macy tries her best to avoid eye contact with the Bower's gang as she passes them. The boys are surprisingly quiet as she walks past them. Having all agreed to give her a pass since the death of her sister. Just like they had for Bill Denbrough.

Macy opens the bathroom door, having to keep the promise she made to Beverly that she'd meet her there. Both girl's knowing Macy wanted to buy time before she had to meet her mother, who was waiting outside the school for any sign of Betty.

Walking into the bathroom Macy hears the voice of Greta Bowie talking down to Beverly, who was sat in the bathroom stall. " You're trash! " She laughed before turning towards the door. Her attention quickly shifted towards Macy as she realized who had just walked in.

"Oh and look our favorite only child just walked in Beaverly. " Greta exclaims once she notices Macy. A loud splashing noise fills the bathroom as Greta's friends dump wet trash inside Beverly's stall.

" Can't you just cut us a break? You bitch! " Macy yells as her knuckles slowly turn white from clenching the straps of her backpack. " You're not any better, hanging out with that slut. " Greta shoots back before pushing Macy against the wall and leaving the bathroom with all her friends close behind.

" Have a good summer freaks. Oh and my dad sends his condolences Mace." Greta adds before the bathroom door closes, leaving Beverly and Macy alone. A damp Beverly walks out the stall, throwing her wet backpack into the empty trash can.

" I should've hit her or something. " Macy expresses earning a sympathetic smile and chuckle from her best friend. " We were a bit too outnumbered for it to be a fair fight. We'll get them next time Mace. " Beverly jokes, wrapping her arm around her best friend, with the two leaving the bathroom.

" Is your mom still waiting outside? " Beverly questions as the two walk down the almost empty halls of the middle school.

" Take a guess. " The girl sighs, looking towards the door. " It's not like she's making sure I get home safe. She's just delusional and thinks Betty's been hiding out in Mrs.Reid's English class this entire time. " Macy uttered while rolling her eyes at the thought.

" I mean, at least she's getting out the house? " With it sounding more like a question than anything else. Macy thinks about the past month, remembering how the only places her mother has been to is her school. " Yeah but as soon as she steps foot in the house, she's back to staring at her ceiling. " Macy reveals, having seen her mother do that every day since Betty disappeared.

" Just know that I'm counting on you to rescue me from my house this summer. Besides these little trips to school, my mom hasn't left her room. And I can't imagine what the summer is going to be like. " Macy begged, not knowing how much of it she would be able to take. " You can always count on me Mace. " Beverly promised just as they parted ways.

Macy made her way out the front doors and opened them wide, squinting a bit once the sun met her eyes. She wasn't surprised by the sight of her grieving mother next to the abundance of police cars. The slightly embarrassed girl walks down the stairs with her head down, trying not to notice all the looks that came her way. Yet the girl stops in her tracks once she passed the self-proclaimed " Losers Club".

" She's not dead, shes m-m-missing. " Bill corrected, making Macy turn her head and stare at the four boys. The boys stare back at her dumbfounded and mortified that she had heard them. Macy looks back at her mom, who had been paying her no attention and walks towards the group of boys.

" Hey Macy, how are you? " Stanley spits out awkwardly, trying to cover up the fact that they had just been talking about her dead sister.

" I've been better Stanley, but thanks. " She starts looking at all the embarrassed boys. The awkward tension grows as silence overtakes the group of five. Macy rocks on her heal before opening her mouth to speak again

" So, what do you guys plan on doing this summer? " Macy tries to ease the tension, and she watches Bill's eyes widen a bit.

"Arcade, quarry, the barr- " Richie starts but abruptly gets cut off by Bill. " The b-arrens! We plan on going there! You're wel-come to come with us to look tomorrow. " Bill invites her, knowing she can be some help in his search for answers. The two had an idea of what the other was going through, thus making it easy for Macy to take him up on his offer.

" Wicked. Hopefully, I won't be on house arrest this summer, but I think I'll be able to go. See you guys around. " Macy returns the waves the boys were giving her before turning away and walking towards her mother's car.

" Mom come on. " Macy mumbles to her mother, who's still looking at the school.

Macy walks to her mom's car and sits in the passenger's seat. She turns her head around, watching her mother talk to Mr.Bowers from the back window. Mrs.Ripsom wipes her tears and walks slowly to the car, turning her head every so often to look for any sign of Betty. Macy quickly faces forward and starts chipping at her blue nail polish as her mother gets in the car.

The ride is silent, causing Macy to look out the window, trying to ignore the uncomfortable silence. The silence is broken once her mother turns on their block. " Macy you don't need to be talking to all those boys. A girl who hangs around with only boys is just asking for trouble. That's the last thing we need right now. " Mrs.Ripsom explains, her knuckles turning white on the steering wheel in front of her.

Letting out a sign Macy tries her hardest to defend herself. " Mom it's nothing like that. Bill Denbrough just knows what I'm going through and it would be nice to talk about it. Besides I barely ever talk to them." Macy claims as her mom stops the car in front of their house.

" What happened to the Denbrough boy was a horrible and uncontrollable accident. What happened to your sister could've been prevented. " Mrs.Ripsom exclaims, turning the car off and walking into the house.

Macy sits in the car, watching her mother disappear into the house.

It wasn't a surprise that the Ripsom house hadn't been the same since the empty casket had been put six feet into the ground. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ripsom hadn't said Betty's name, only referring to her as " my daughter " or " your sister. "

There was now no doubt in Macy's mind that her mother had blamed her for Betty's death. Yet her mother might never tell her, Macy was a smart girl, she didn't need words to know.

Walking through the front doors of her house she stops and looks at the pile of dirty dishes in the sink. Her mother hasn't looked at the sink in months. Ever since it talked back, washing the dishes had become her father's job.

Macy made sure to never tell her parents that she knew about that.

A sigh escapes as she walks past the dreaded kitchen sink, thinking about what Bill had said to her. Now her mind is set on meeting with the boys throughout the summer. Meeting with them to hopefully find out what truly happened to Betty. Even if that meant lying to anyone she needed to get out of her house.