Chapter 3: 117

[ c h a p t e r 3 ]

Kelsey

It was raining. Lydia and I were waiting for the boys to bring the young Derek to the Beacon Hills animals clinic.

When they arrived, we helped them put Derek in the table so Deaton could check him.

"Wow." That was what Deaton said once he saw Derek's face.

"Wow? Wow as in, "I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do," kind of wow? 'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for." Stiles talked.

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities." He replied Stiles.

Young Derek was actually so cute. I stared at him for a while and then I held his hand.

"He's cold." I said.

Lydia touched his face "Really cold." She looked at Deaton.

I was still staring at his face.

Deaton started taking his pulse and lighting his eyes with a flashlight.

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott said.

"I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate. This is well beyond my experience." He confessed.

"So what do we do with him?" Stiles asked.

"Well if you stare at him it wouldn't change nothing." He said and looked at me. I automatically blushed and look away. "Until he wakes up. Probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here." He said seriously.

"You mean from Kate?" Stiles said.

"If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate." Deaton explained.

"Why would she want do this to him?" I asked as I wrapped him in a blanked.

"Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that won't be any good for anyone but her." Deaton answered.

"And bad for everyone else." Stiles muttered almost to himself.

"You guys should probably go home." He started "He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep? It is a school night... And you all need to start taking care of your own lives again."

"Someone should stay with you." Scott pointed.

I was still holding his hand. "I'll stay" I offered.

"No, I'll stay. My grades are fine... Despite missing a few classes. Also, you need to get ready for school-" Lydia started talking but I cut her off.

"I've got good grades too. I could stay with you." I looked at her.

"But you are younger, plus is you first year in high school." She hugged me and kissed my forehead. "Please, go home. Tell mom I'm on Kira's." She said and I whispered a "fine".

"I'm so not okay with this." Stiles disagreed.

"Guys, go." She told them.

"No." Stiles opposed.

"Text us if anything happens." Scott said "We'll take Kelsey home."

"Nope, still not okay with it. Not going anywhere." Stiles stood there, but Scott pulled him out "All right, just 'cause you're stronger..."

I muttered a light "bye" and we three got out.

*****

Stiles, Scott and I were in school. We were heading to our next class. Of course, they were in another class because they were Juniors and I was freshman.