Chapter 9: I.E.D.

[ c h a p t e r  9 ]

Kelsey

"So, the Walcott's were the first." Stiles explained to his father. "At least the first that we know about. Four murders. Sean, his brother, and their parents. They were killed by a professional assassin called The Mute." He continued. "Weapon of choice, a military tomahawk. But then The Mute was killed by Peter Hale after he tried to blow up Derek with a Claymore mine. Next was Demarco. He delivered a keg to the party at Lydia's lake house. And got decapitated outside his car."

"And then last night, 23-year-old Carrie Hudson." I said and I handed him the dead pool list. "It's a dead pool."

"A hit list of supernatural creatures. This is only part of it. The rest still has to be decoded." Scott finished.

"Who found this list?" Mr Stilinski asked.
"Me and Lydia." I replied.
"How?"
"They wrote it. Actually, they transcribed it." Stiles told him.
"Without realizing it." I added.
"Banshee?" Mr Stilinski said.
"Banshee." Stiles nodded.
"Beautiful." He whispered. "All right, what are these numbers next to the names?"
"We're getting to that." Stiles explained. "First, you need to know that the code was broken with a cipher key."
"Wait. You mean, like a key word?" His dad said.
"It's actually a name." I said.
"Allison." Scott mumbled.
"Her name broke a third of the list." I told him.
"And now we think there's two other cipher keys." Scott added.
"Which will give us the rest of the names." Stiles said.
"Okay." Mr Stilinski mumbled. "So how do we get the cipher keys?"
"Same way we got the code." I answered.
"The Martin sisters." Scott said
"Lydia is getting so stressed with all this. She's been out at the lake house all weekend trying to find the other two key words." I explained.
"You didn't know about Demarco or Carrie. Hmm?" He pointed. "And what about these other two names on the list? Uh, Kayleen Bettcher and Elias Town. They werewolves too?"
"I don't know." Scott confessed."But Deaton said that the Nemeton would draw supernatural creatures here."
"Here being Beacon Hills? Or Beacon County? The population of Beacon Hills is just under 30,000." Sheriff Stilinski said.
"And dropping." I added.
"But if we're talking Beacon County, then you're looking at close to 500,000." He told us.
"Look, how many werewolves, banshees, kitsunes and whatever the hell else is out there are we talking about? And what if the next cipher key uncovers not 12 names but 100?"

"We don't think there would be that many. There's a limit." Stiles said.
"Because of the numbers."
"We think that once we decode the names, the numbers will add up to 117. Million." I explained.
"Stolen from the Hale vault and is being used by someone to finance all these murders.
Someone who wants every supernatural in Beacon Hills dead." Stiles said.
"So the coded list goes out. And somehow these professional assassins get that list.

"And a cipher key." Stiles cut him off.

"And then they go after the names on the list." He continued. "They being killers with no mouths, tomahawks, thermo-cut wires that can take your head off." He showed us some pictures.
"Let me see." I said checking them.
"Carrie was also stabbed." Mr Stilinski said.
"What's this mark?" Stiles said.
"We're not sure yet. We're waiting on the ME's report." He replied. "There's one other thing I don't get. How did this new assassin know that Demarco was going to be at the lake house?"
"Everyone knows he delivers kegs to teenagers for a little extra cash." Scott told him.
"So whoever ordered that keg killed Demarco." He pointed.
"Yeah, it was someone at the party." I said. "A student."

*****

I waved at Kira as she went out of her class. Then I saw her father behind her.
"Kelsey, would you wait a second? I have something to talk about with Kira." Mr Yukimura asked me.