Chapter 14

---------- Chapter 14 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Lucas' POV)

I would hate for you to find somebody new

Who you really love

Cause it could mean losing you

But am I a fool girl not to say

If I'm always scared I'll lose you anyway

Somehow someway I've got to choose

Got to choose no matter if it's win or lose

I don't want to be like your brother

I don't want to be your best friend

I only want to be your lover

When will this end?

If I told you that I want to be in your life?

If you could be the woman in mine

Heh...it's funny how songs sometimes can just relate completely to the crap you're feeling.

For god's sake, I'm behaving my like a love-sick teenage girl. But I don' see how I can help it...

Paige stopped knocking on my door a while ago. She looked like she was distressed, but to be honest, her distress didn't register to me. I was the burning man! And yes, she was distressed, and yes, I do love her...but...she betrayed me.

"Lucas?" Jasper calls, knocking on my door.

I just turn the music up. Ignoring him. I'm allowed to break down once in a while, okay?

I walked across an empty land

I knew the pathway like the back of my hand

I felt the earth beneath my feet

Sat by the river and it made me complete

Oh simple thing where have you gone

I'm getting old and I need something to rely on

So tell me when you're gonna let me in

I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

I came across a fallen tree

I felt the branches of it looking at me

Is this the place we used to love?

Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?

"Luke? Darling...please!" I have to work to keep myself on the bed. I can't face her. Not yet...not ever. Every time I see her, I relive the scene in front of my eyes in the caf. How could she?! She kissed Jack! How could she?! She said she loved me! I told her I loved her back!

"Luke! I'm sorry! Luke, please! Please!" she wails, banging her delicate fists against the wooden door.

Hours pass...my homework lies in a pile on my table. I hadn't bothered to switch on the lights, so I'm lying in the dark, staring blankly into space. Tears, stupid, idiotic tears run freely down my cheek, unchecked. The only sound in my room is the music...which serves to keep my misery company.

Soon, too soon, there's a heavy thud against my door, "Lucas, its dinner time".

I make an effort to get up, and I meekly step out of my room and sit quietly at the table. The only reason I am here is because Mr. Daniels deserves my courtesy.

"Just hang tight for a minute, Lucas. Paige and the boys will be down in a minute."

"Okay," my voice is thick and it sounds really wrong. Mr. Daniels sits at his spot and watches me. I can't meet his glance, so I keep my eyes fixed on the floor.