Chapter 22

---------- Chapter 22 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gently pick the card out of the beautiful bouquet, a dozen roses. Wow! This must have set someone back a pretty penny.

'Sorry'

Just one word, scrawled messily in the middle of the card.

Jack!

He really thinks a bouquet of my favourite roses will make me forgive him?! He tried to rape me, twice! There is no forgiving someone for something like that...but maybe he's seen the err of his ways?

I look up at the delivery guy in confusion, but my eyes don't meet his. Instead I look into a pair of blue-grey eyes.

"Paige...I acted like a spoilt child. And I apologise," Lucas says, very formally, one hand running through his hair. His face is drawn and his eyes are bloodshot.

"Lucas...you're back? Do you remember?"

"No. Not a thing. I flew back to the UK. And you were right...my family is dead. Sam is too..."

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

"No, I am. And I know you can't possibly forgive me-"

"I can. And I do."

"You do?"

"Of course! You don't remember, but I owe you so much!"

"I know it's bothersome for you...but if you'll have me...I'd like to build some memories too."

"Wait! You're staying?"

"Yeah. According to my credit card, and mail, I'm staying at the Empire Hotel. And...I really am sorry. You were just trying to help...but I snapped."

"I should have had a little more tact. It just hurt that you didn't know who I was" I mumble, not meeting his eyes.

He takes both my hands in his, utterly shocking me. My eyes fly up to meet his; crinkling around the edges.

"Wow...I barely know you, but I have butterflies in my stomach. Obviously my body remembers you...I just wish my mind would too!"

I pull him towards me, and sink into his chest. Oh god, this feels so right!

The next thing I know, the both of us crash onto the couch. I sit over him, and he smiles tentatively up at me. "Wow! You know...I'm not usually so easy," he says, actually sounding a little worried.

I burst into a fit of laughter. Luke cocks an eyebrow, scrutinising me, a small smile playing on his lips. "Luke, if only you remembered! I think you really are this easy! At least, that is if I can use the number of girls you've slept with as an indication."

Luke sits upright, and I tumble of him, landing on the floor. "I am?! I'm like...a guy slut?"

"Gee! No...not really...maybe? You always said they didn't matter to you. It was your form of distraction, I suppose?"

"And you're okay with that?"

"Heh! You're a scarred, damaged individual. But I don't mind. Your imperfections make you perfect."

He looks perplexed for a few moments before lying back down, one hand under his head, staring up at the ceiling. I climb back onto him and kiss his lips softly. I see the desire in his eyes, before his eyes close. He pulls me towards him. Hmm, he may have been right about his body remembering me.

"Ahem?"

Jasper's voice sets the both us pulling away from each other. Luke's worked up a light blush, looking gingerly at me. I, on the other hand, can't keep the smile of my face.