Chapter 10

Author's note: Hey guys i know it's been like a month since I last posted a chapter because of summer school.... and well I'm finished. :D Parts of this story sorta relates to me because I have a "bestfriend" and we've known each other basically since we were born, we were nseparable and as we got older we drifted away and haven't talked to him in three years.Anyways hope you guys are enjoying the story so far. so yeah here's the next chapter hope you guys enjoy.

Kat :D

______________________________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER 10

     The next day, saturday afternoon, the two re-united friends sat awkwardly on the couch. They didn't know what to say to each other. It was the first time after a year and a half, that they hung out on a saturday. After what happened last night, they decided that they should hang out; something both of them terribly missed, but something was different. Hanging out wasn't this awkward. When they hung out, they would sit and talk for hours, not paying attention to what the time of day was. Sometimes they would talk and talk for hours that it led to having sleepovers, just watching movies, playing nonsense games, and basically just enjoying eachothers' company, but now everything changed.

"Umm, so what do you want to do?" Caleb muttered.

"I don't know," Cathleen said quietly.

     A faint cry in the background was heard by the two. Caleb groaned, and slowly got up from the couch. Cathleen quickly got up and laid a hand on his shoulder.

"I'll get her, it's the first time I've seen Sophie. I want to meet her," Cathleen insisted.

     Caleb smiled, and watched Cathleen walked up the stairs. Nothing changed in the house, but everything seemed to beso different to Cathleen. It didn't feel as homey as before. It didn't feel as welcoming, and that scared her. Finally she reached the nursery, and gently pushed open the door. Right when she looked inside, there was the small baby girl in her crib, squirming around with tears running down she cheeks. Cahtleen approached Sophie's crib carefully and picked her up.

"Aw, it's okay baby girl," Cahtleen cooed.

     Cathleen slowly rocked her back and forth. The crying seemed to quiet down, but soft sobs were still heard. She carried the her downstars into the living room, finding it empty. Cathleen guessed Caleb was in the bathroom or somewhere else, so she just sat herself on the couch, rocking Sophie back and forth, humming a lullaby her mother used to sing to her.

"Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be alright, no one can hurt now. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound," Cathleen sang quietly.

     The little girl relaxed in her arms and breathed at a steady paste. Cathleen smiled down at Sophie, and slowly closed her eyes. Little did she know, Caleb was standing in the hallway watching the scene unfold, with a smile plastered on his face. Cathleen was so gentle and delicate with his baby sister. He moved forward, and looked down at the most important girls in his life. Sophie was fast asleep, while Cathleen had her eyes shut rocking the baby girl gently, and humming a familiar tune.

"Enjoying yourself?" Caleb whispered.

"Uhh, hey... yeah, she's a real cutie," Cathleen stated, a bit startled.

"Yup, she's a keeper," he chuckled.

     They both smiled down at Sophie before Cathleen handed her to Caleb. Once the two were alone again, they sat back down on the couch with hidden smiled on their faces. Every once in a while, they'd sneak glances at eachother.

"I miss this," Cathleen sighed.

"Same here," Caleb replied.

"So do you want to watch a movie?" Cathleen asked.

"Sure." Caleb got up from the couch and looked through the DVD's. Once the movie was picked and set, they got comfortable and had their eyes glued to the screen. A scene in the movie reminded him of the cut he saw the other day. His eyes shifted towards the girl beside him, with disgust written all over her face. Caleb seemed so delicate to her, and didn't want to hurt her. He reached for her arm and rolled up her sleeve. There it was. The long red line, visible in his sight. He ran his thumb over it and could tell it was painful.

     Cathleen felt someone touch her arm, and her eyes looked away from the screen to look up at Caleb. She looked down to see what he was looking at. The red scar was being rubbed. She looked up again to see Caleb's face with worry painted on it. She smiled and put her hand over his and removed his hand from the wound.

"Don't worry about it," she softly said, rolling down her sleeve.

"Wh-what happened?" Caleb asked.

"A knife was falling off the counter and I didn't realize, so it sliced through my arm. Yes it was painful, but it's done now. There's nothing to worry about. Really." she smiled up at him.

      Caleb reached for her arm again, rolled up her sleeve, and placed a gentle kiss on the wound. That was the last thing she expected he would do. When his soft lips left her skin, she felt a tingle on her arm. She looked up to see Caleb smiling at her. Her faced became warm and her cheeks turned a bright red.

     The front door opened and they heard the clicking of heels. A tall slim figure, in a business suit with a friendly face, was seen, coming from the hallway.

"Hi ma," Caleb turned in his seat.

"Hi Cal-" the woman stopped her words when she saw Cathleen beside him.

"Cathleen?" she asked in surprise.

     Cathleen fully turned her head, to meet the eyes of Mrs. Carter.

"Hi Mrs. Carter," Cathleen nervously smiled.

"How many times have I told you in the past to call me anything but that." Mrs. Carter laughed, then proceeded to greet the young lady, "wow, I haven't seen you in a while," She smiled.

"How have you been? It's really good to see you again. How's your mom?" she continued.

"I'm good, yeah it's really great to see you again. You look more beautiful from the last time I've seen you. Not that I'm saying you weren't before, but I just haven't seen you for a long time," Cathleen giggled.

"I know what you mean," Mrs. Carter laughed.

"So how's your mom?" she asked with a more serious face.

"Umm..., she uhh... she passed away," Cathleen said in a hushed voice.

"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry" Caleb's mom apologized.

"Thank you. I really miss her," Cathleen stated.

     An awkward silence filled the air. The topic of her mom was something she wanted to avoid. Cathleen kept her in remembrance and loved her, but she didn't want to re-live the pain she was in in the past.

"So anyways, what's there to eat? I'm starving!" Caleb broke the silence.

"Umm... what time is it?" his mom asked.

"Uh... 5 o'clock," Cathleen responded, checking her phone.

"Great, do you want to stay for dinner?" Caleb asked.

"Uhh, I'm not sure if I can, my dad has work later on and I have to take care of EJ and Daniel," Cathleen muttered.

"You can bring your brothers, it's no problem," Mrs. Carter responded.

"Umm... if it's alright with you, then I'd be happy to stay," Cathleen replied.