Chapter 1

1 Year Later: 

Annie's POV

The summer going into 9th grade was mostly uneventful. After I got home from my middle-school graduation, I saw a letter sitting on my bed. It was from some weird place called Camp Hammond. I opened it, and it said that I was accepted to the camp, which is in Connecticut. I couldn't go for obvious reasons. The most evident being that I never applied for a place called Camp Hammond. What camp do you need to apply to anyways? I spent way too long procrastinating on my summer homework. I watched and rewatched old movies. Other than that, I did very little that summer. 

The other strange thing that's happened recently is that another superhero showed up. His name is Spiderman and I'm nearly 100% sure that he is under 18. Which begs the question Why does Queens have so many teenage superheroes? When I first met him, and he introduced himself as Spiderman, I realized something. I didn't have a superhero name. When he asked me what my name was, I completely panicked. I couldn't actually tell him. So I had to come up with a superhero name on the spot. I am now known as Ms. Prisma. (Not my best work, but now I'm stuck with it) 

As it turns out, I do go to Midtown High now, but I'm not there now. I left after lunch because my grandma is coming in later. I haven't really made any friends yet, though. Mostly, I just hang out with Cass. Currently, I'm rewatching the original Alien movie with her. Or at least I was before Cass grabbed the remote and turned off the television.

"Cass! What gives?" I protest. 

"If I watch this for one more minute," Cass dramatically points at the tv with the remote, "I will never  be able to fall asleep." She shudders, "Ever." Oh Cass, always the dramatic. She changes the channel to some sitcom. I roll my eyes at her and go to our room. I lie on my bed, listening to the sound of the laugh track playing from the tv matched with Cass's faint laughter. There are pieces of ripped paper in my hands. I try to telekinesis them back together. It's not hard to do. I rip, mend, and re-rip the paper dozens of times before I eventually stop. When Cass comes in later that night, I can't help but sit up. Before I look, I can tell what she has planned. I pull out the familiar, unlabeled box that holds my suit. Just as I am about to open it, I hear a knock at the door. Even though my mom isn't home, I know that it's not her. She has a key. It can't be Dallas either because he knows where the emergency key is, besides, he's hanging out at a friend's house. (The middle school has a parent-teacher conference day) I look through the peephole. It's some guy that I don't recognize. He's wearing a plain baseball hat. There's literally nothing on it. No team name or company logo, it's just plain gray. It unsettles me. He's also wearing a hoodie over his hat. 

"Should I open it?" I whisper to Cass. 

"I'll open the door but keep the door chain in, so it only opens a little." She replies. I step back gratefully as she opens the door. The man looks at her. 

"Can you open the door all the way?" He asks. Considering I have no clue who he is, he's being very straightforward. I think for a moment. If worst comes to worst, I'll use my superpowers. I nod to Cass. She tentatively unlocks the door chain. The man looks at her intently. 

"Are you Andromeda Walters?" He asks. I freeze up. How does he know my full name?  Nobody calls me by my first name. This was a mistake. Cass doesn't say anything. Her eyes are wide in fear. 

"I- I am." I manage to say. He looks at me, previously unaware of my presence. Why is my heart beating so loudly? I look at Cass and wonder why I decided to let this guy in. Cass and I are the only ones home and we let in a stranger. Isn't that like the first rule in Staying Home Alone 101? "Don't open the door for strangers" I immediately think of the worst thing that could happen. Can anybody else hear my pounding heartbeat? I've trained a lot since last year, and won't hesitate to do whatever is necessary to save me and Cass. If it even comes to that, I could very well be overthinking the situation.