Chapter 9

Peter's POV

Annie has been a mess lately. Yesterday, I wanted to ask her for a make-up date, since our last one never actually happened, but she wasn't in school. Hopefully, she's better now that her sister is back. I've called her a bunch of times and she hasn't answered yet. I think I'll call her just one last time...

Annie's POV

Now that I think of it, my life has changed in the past week. One week ago today, Cass hadn't gone missing yet and I was still in a wheelchair. Now, Cass claims to be some girl named Violet as well as herself but I walk free. As horrible as it may seem, I've started ditching school regularly. I find that I have to get away from everyone, everything. On such days, which are becoming more and more common, I usually fly around aimlessly. Once, I ended up somewhere in Brooklyn. Today is Sunday and I've resolved to finally call Peter back. After all, he's called me 16 times. The phone only rings twice before he picks up. 

"Hi, Annie." He says, a little excitedly. 

"Hey," I reply lamely. 

"So I was thinking that maybe you could come over today, or another day if today is like crazy short notice or something-" I have to cut him off because my heart is beating so loudly that I can't hear him anymore. Has Peter always sounded this adorable? I wonder. 

"That'd be great!" I say, maybe a bit too loudly. "I- I mean, today will be great. I mean- Uh... How about I come over around 1 pm?" I brace myself for Peter's response. Why do I have to be such a spaz? 

"1 pm it is then." 

"Perfect." I half say, half dreamily sigh. The line is silent for almost five whole minutes before I hang up. "Hey, Cass!" I shout, conveniently forgetting about her identity problem. Still, she comes in. "I have a date!" I squeal. 

"That's great Annie!" She says. Suddenly my eyes widen. 

"Shit... I've never actually been on a date before." I say, shaking my head a little. But for some reason, Cass claps. 

"Finally! Something I can kind of help with!" She declares.  Why would Cass be able to help me with a date? I wonder. 

An hour later, after I have changed clothes countless times and tried out far too many makeup looks, I end up wearing boyfriend jeans, a graphic t-shirt, and sneakers. The only makeup I'm wearing is mascara and lip gloss. I smile and fake pose for Cass. She strokes her chin jokingly. "I think that you're ready." She says. I head over to Peter's house at one o'clock on the dot. 

Peter's POV

I'm in my room when Aunt May lets Annie inside. "Peter! Your friend is here." She calls.  I run into the living room. Annie is sitting on the couch next to May. By the way they're sitting, I can tell that they have most likely been chatting for the past few minutes. I motion for Annie to follow me. 

"Woah... your room is so cool." She announces, examining some Star Wars action figures on a shelf. I blush, shrugging. 

"Pete, I sure hope your bedroom door is open," May shouts across the apartment. She uses the kind of mom-like voice that implies her telling him that his bedroom door better be open. Hope has nothing to do with it. 

"It is, May!" I respond, shouting back so she can hear me. 

"So... Is May your mom?" Annie asks. 

"Oh! No... She's my aunt. My mom died." I reply, "A long time ago." I add, hoping that we won't talk about this the whole time. Don't get me wrong, I miss my parents more than anything. It's just that I want to talk about happier things. Talking about this the entire time would suck. I think. 

"I am so sorry." She says. "So do you live with your dad?" 

"Uh... no, he died too." 

"So you live with your aunt. How about an uncle?" her voice is full of genuine sadness. 

He- he's dead too."

"For about-" I get cut off by a loud rumbling noise. I look out the window. Shit...

Annie's POV

How is this possible? I think, as I watch Resonance terrorize the people on the street down below. I take a deep breath before I saw anything. "Look... Peter, I really have to go." I say, stumbling a little over the words. Oddly enough, Peter isn't really listening. He's looking at something on his phone. 

"Annie... I totally forgot that I have this thing. I have to go like now." He says, half apologetically. 

I practically run out the door, changing into my suit as soon as I can. 

When I arrive in front of Resonance, Spiderman is nowhere to be found. "So you decided to show up." She says, diverting all her attention to me. As soon as she looks my way, people all around me scatter. 

"I did," I reply, picking up spare pieces from the remains of a shattered bottle with my telekinesis. Really, Annie, that's the best witty comeback you can come up with? I throw them all at her and one of them grazes her cheek. She wipes away the blood with her thumb, a sickening smile plastered on her face.

"My turn," she scowls, screaming so loud that windows all around me shatter. My ears ring and I lose balance. Resonance walks up to me and punches me. Hard. I taste blood. She leans in close and I brace myself for another punch. "Actually, I think I'm done now, Andromeda." 

With that, she leaves me alone in a pile of shrapnel. But how does she know my name? 

Peter's POV