Chapter 6

Cass's POV

I wake up early, which almost never happens. Looking at the clock, I realize that I didn't just wake up early, I woke up in the middle of the night. The clock reads 2:48. I go to open the bedroom door, but when I touch the knob, beams of light dance around the spot my hand made contact. 

I watch, half terrified, as the beams of light slowly merge into a circle so bright that I begin to see spots

I watch, half terrified, as the beams of light slowly merge into a circle so bright that I begin to see spots. Finding myself with no choice but to look away, I notice that I can still sense the light, even though I can't see it. I feel it growing larger and larger, until it consumes the whole door. I turn back to the door. "Cass." A whispery yet slithery voice calls. It calls me to the door. Tentatively, I touch my hand to it, watching mesmerized as my hand passes through the door. I reach my hand in a little bit further, captivated by the bright light. An oddly serene sense of calm washes over me, at least until some unseen force pulls me inside. 

"Help!" I yell, "Somebody help!" But nobody comes, and I find myself completely engulfed by the light. I am surrounded by the white light for a split second before it fades away around me. I blink a few times before looking around. 

I'm outside, near the subway. So the portal just took me outside? I wonder, walking back to my apartment. The sky is a soft blue. So I guess it's not 2 am anymore... I think, trying to ignore the people murmuring around me as I walk. As I approach the building, my phone buzzes. Somebody liked my post on Instagram. Wait... I haven't posted recently. I think, opening the app. I tap my profile, but it isn't mine. It's from somebody named Violet Keiths. Who is she? I look at some of the photos... they're all me. I look at her profile picture. That's me too. I look at her follower count. What the shit? She has literally millions of followers. I go to the explore section, only to find things that I've never seen before. I tap on one that looks vaguely familiar, scrolling through the photos. Hey, is that... Peter? I wonder, looking at the picture. The person looks a lot like him, but is wearing a hat and sunglasses. The caption reads, 'Sorry, couldn't make an edit today. So instead, I posted a pic of Tom ;)' Tom? Who the hell is that? Before I get a chance to think about where I am, my phone rings. The contact name is Bae 😘😘😘. I pick up, trying not to notice my shaking hands. 

"Hey, Vi." A voice, presumably male, says. "We still on for tonight?" I nod, then realize I'm on the phone. 

"Y-Yeah," I reply, but I'm only half paying attention. My mind is swimming. Who is Violet Keiths? 

"You okay babe?" Concern creeps into his voice. 

"Of course." I find myself saying. 

"Great. I got us tickets for that new Spiderman movie after dinner..." He keeps on talking but I'm not listening anymore. Something is very, very wrong and I intend to find out what it is. 

Annie's POV

When I wake up, Cass isn't in our room. I lazily look at the clock. It's 7:45. Holy shit, I overslept... As I jump out of bed and quickly toss on a light sweater and a pair of jeans, I can't help but think of Peter. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time for breakfast, much less to daydream about a boy I'll see in less than an hour. I don't even bother with makeup as I messily pull my hair into a ponytail. I put on a headband in a futile attempt at hiding my flyaways. Still in my room, I glance at the clock again, and decide to fly to school. Invisibly of course. The only problem would be my wheelchair...