Chapter 2

Annie's POV

I look at the slip of paper in my hand. And then I look at the suit Mr. Stark gave me, still tucked away in its silver briefcase. I look back and forth, unable to choose, until my head throbs. "Cass?" I call, "Come in here, I need your help with something." As stupid as it may seem, I let my next choice be decided by chance. I tear a piece of paper off of an old homework assignment and write the word 'Stark' messily on it. I clench it in my right hand, grasping the paper with the phone number in my left hand. When Cass comes in, I ask her to choose a hand.

"Why?" She asks.

"Just do it, I'll tell you why later," I respond. Cass closes her eyes and then proceeds to spin around until she grabs a table to steady herself. She points to my left hand. "Okay then," I say, opening my hand to uncrumple the paper. Cass sees it.

"Annie, please. Don't do this." She says, her gray-blue eyes gazing into my own. I shake her stare away and pick up my phone. She grabs my wrist, "Since I obviously can't stop you from doing this, just do one thing for me okay?" I look at her, "Make sure that I'm on comms." She says. I roll my eyes as if to say of course. She smiles and lets go of my wrist. I dial the number and set the phone to speaker. I place in between me and Cass. I make sure to use *67 (I don't actually know who I'm calling. Whoever's on the other end picks up on the third ring. 

"Hello?" A voice says, mildly broken up from bad cell reception. "Who is this?" 

"H-Hi, I'm Andromeda Walters..." I say, hoping that I dialed the correct number, I look at the slip of paper to be sure. Now that I think of it, that 7 could have been a 1... 

"Oh! Hello, Ms. Walters, are you in?" The voice sounds pleasantly surprised. 

"Ye- Wait, who is this?" 

"This is Steve Rogers." He says. Steve Rogers, that sounds familiar... I look at Cass, she writes something down on a piece of paper and shows it to me, as if she doesn't want Steve Rogers to know that I'm not alone. The words, He's Captain America are written sloppily on the back of an old test. As I look closely, I notice my name in pen through the light and a red markered A that bleeds through the paper a little. 

"Hey! I got an A on that!" I shout at Cass, then cover up my mouth. 

"What did you just say?" Steve Rog- Captain America says. 

"Nothing! Also, yes. I'm in." I look at Cass. She smiles back at me, in a reluctantly approving kind of way. 

"Great! Sam can pick you up Thursday morning." 

"Perfect," I smile as I say it, even though he can't tell. After I hang up I look at Cass again. She looks at me as if I've done something wrong. "What?" I ask. 

"Grandma's going to be here for five days. And she's coming tonight. Also, it's Tuesday. That gives you two days." Cass looks at me as if I haven't gotten it yet. "You have to pack, make up an alibi for Mom, and tell all of your teachers that you'll be missing school for an indeterminate amount of time." My eyes widen as I take it all in. Cass's next words once again remind me how glad I am that she knows my identity. "I'll make up the alibi and tell your teachers. You focus on packing." She runs to our room, but stops just as she's about to walk in, "I'm not sure if you're aware, but this is kind of time sensitive..." She says, rushing inside to grab her laptop. I grab the briefcase that Mr. Stark left me and scurry in after her. 

I'm halfway packed and Cass has forged fake letters to my parents and teachers stating that I have been accepted to a little known, exclusive leadership program and the first meeting is in Germany. As she finishes the letter to our parents, I telekinesis it into the mailbox. We're on a roll until I hear somebody mimicking the sound of a doorbell. It's probably Dallas. I think. Cass goes to get the door but hears a key turn as my mom comes in with Dallas. "He rang the doorbell to annoy you." She explains.