Chapter 4

Peter's POV

So this is it, today I'm going to Germany to fight with Iron Man. I think, telling myself over and over that this is real, no matter how dreamlike it may seem. I zip up my duffel, give May a hug goodbye, and get into the elevator. Nobody else is inside. I put down my duffel and lean on the elevator wall. It stops at the sixth floor. To my surprise, Annie gets inside, lugging a small, patterned suitcase. She's humming a song that I don't recognize. It isn't until we're passing the third floor that I muster up the confidence to break the thick silence. "So, where are you going?" I ask, trying to look nonchalant. 

"A leadership program. How about you?" She replies. I wonder why she didn't tell me where her leadership program is. 

"Oh, I'm going to Germany for an internship with Tony Stark." I stand a little straighter as I say it. Her eyes widen a little, and she doesn't say another word for the rest of the uncomfortably long elevator ride. 

Annie's POV

Could he be the 'other kid?' I wonder. It seems too coincidental that he's going to Germany at the same time as me, especially for Tony Stark. My suspicion only increases when I see him step into a fancy car that's parked right outside the building. After I see him get in the car, I wait on the curb for about half an hour before I see a beat-up Camry pull up. The front window rolls down. It's somebody that I don't know. "I'm Clint. I'll be taking you to Germany." He smiles at me and motions for me to get inside. I touch my hand to the front door. "Nah, kids go in the back." He says playfully. From the way he says it, I assume that he has kids. I jokingly roll my eyes, and get into the back seat. 

The drive to the airport seems to take forever, but we eventually get to the airport. When we get on the plane, Clint walks all the way to the back before sitting down. My seat is next to his. It surprises me. "Aren't you an avenger?" I ask Clint, my head cocked slightly to the side.

"Why do you ask?" He responds, putting his bag in the overhead compartment. 

"Well, wouldn't Tony Stark be paying for our tickets? Or is he the bad guy here? Or-"

"It's complicated." Clint says, ending any and all conversation. 

I fall asleep minutes after the plane takes off, and don't wake up until we land. Clint rents a white van and we wait for somebody else who apparently will be fighting with us before we drive into the parking lot. Clint tells us that we're going to meet Captain America. My heartbeat races out of a nervous excitement, but the other guy, I think his name is Scott, doesn't hear because he's asleep. 

When Clint opens the door, Scott gets out right away. I wait a minute, contemplating whether or not I should bring my suitcase out. I decide against it, and step out of the van. I see Captain America standing outside a small car. Next to him is Sam, as well as a man who I don't recognize. Both Captain America and Sam seem to know what Scott can do, and only then it dawns on me that they don't know anything about me, barring my name. The man who I don't recognize seems to realize this too. He looks to Sam Wilson, who steps forward. "Ms. Walters? I see that I have conveniently forgotten to ask you this, but what exactly do you do?" He asks. Captain America face-palms. My cheeks redden, but I shake away any thoughts that pop into my head. I take a deep breath before levitating in the air. Captain America nods in approval. I smile, then fade into invisibility. Next, I pull Scott into the air so he hovers a few feet off the ground. 

"What the hell?" Scott exclaims, arms flailing about. I put him down, become visible and float down to the ground. 

After a while, we take our places. Sam and the other man, who I've learned is named Bucky, stay inside while Cap confronts Iron Man. I spy on them from behind some storage units.