Chapter 5

2 Months Later:

Annie's POV

Using a wheelchair was definitely something that needed getting used to. But I've got the hang of it now, and only need it for another few weeks. I went back home two weeks after I woke up in hospital. (Getting on planes when you can't walk is not an easy ordeal) As I wheel to class, I stop by my locker, which is coincidentally right next to Peter's. As the struggle to get books from my top-row locker begins, I see Peter's best friend holding a LEGO figure (I think his name is Ned) (Peter's friend, not the LEGO figure) "Join me, and together, we'll build my new LEGO Death Star." He says in a heavily accented voice. 

"What?" Peter exclaims, "No way, that's awesome, how many pieces?" 

"3803" Ned responds. I know that I shouldn't be listening to their conversation, but I can't help cutting in. 

"Woah. You got the discontinued version?" I say excitedly. Ned and Peter turn to me. "Yeah, LEGO made a new version recently that has 4016 pieces, but it's basically just a carbon copy of the old one. I think that the old one is cooler though." I continue. The two boys continue to stare. Ugh. I bet I geeked out too much and now they think I'm just a lame girl in a wheelchair. Great. 

Peter's POV

I look at Annie in awe. She likes LEGO too? That is so cool! I stare at her for another minute, she's trying to get books out of her locker. "Do you need help with that?" I ask. She looks at me and nods with a smile. "Which books do you need?" 

"Uh... Well, I have Physics now, then Chemistry, English, and Latin." She says. 

"Oh! I have Physics now too if you want me to hold your books?" I mentally face-palm. I may or may not have a crush on Annie (hint: I do) and now she- My thoughts get interrupted. 

"That would be nice." She says, smiling. 

Annie's POV

The next day, Peter isn't by his locker. I look around before doing what I usually do to get my books. I use my telekinesis. The morning flies by, and before I know it, it's lunchtime. I don't know what makes me decide to roll past my regular table today and sit with Peter and Ned. It could be because of my excitement over a cute boy asking to hold my books. That cute boy being Peter. Anyways, Cass made some new friends while I was away, so I'm just trying to do the same. "Can I sit here?" I ask shyly. 

"Yeah!" Ned replies. I try not to notice as I see his eyes look at my chair. I put my lunch tray on the table. Instead, I look at Peter, who's wearing earbuds. Nobody talks for a few minutes. We just eat. "So," Ned says, breaking the silence, "What's up?" 

"I'm getting out of my cast this afternoon, and I'm getting out of this wheelchair in about two weeks. Pretty excited for that." I pat the side of my chair, and look at Peter, who hasn't answered the question yet. Ned taps him on the shoulder. 

"Hmmm? Oh yeah, me too." He says, obviously having not listened to a word of what I just said. He's staring at Liz Allen, and hasn't looked my way once. Maybe this was a mistake. I chat a little bit more with Ned, finish my food, and roll away. 

Peter's POV

"What the hell, Peter?" Ned demands. I snap out of my stare. 

"What?" I reply, still looking at Liz. 

"Why are you staring at Liz anyways? I thought that you like Annie."  

"I do. But there's just about no chance that she likes me" I stop to look at Ned. 

"Well, maybe not anymore... Because Annie was just here, and you didn't even look at her once." My eyes widen with each word that he says. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" I exclaim.