Prologue

Annie's POV:

As I sit on top of a building, watching the sunset, I feel calm. Well, as calm as a 14-year-old girl scouting for crime on top of a building can be. My mask is pulled up to my nose and the soft breeze tickles my skin. I sit with my legs dangling off the side, eating a grilled cheese that I made myself a few hours ago. I'm on the last bite when I hear my headset crackle to life. "There's a lady getting mugged right by Midtown School of Science and Tech-." It's my sister Cass. The only one who knows about my secret identity. 

"Midtown High. Cool." I reply, cutting her off as I pull my mask back over my chin. I jump off the building and head towards the Midtown School of Science and Technology. (What a mouthful!) By the way, I can fly. ( So I didn't just jump off a building for no reason) When I arrive at Midtown about a minute later. I see a guy running off with a purse in the distance. I float up to him, so he doesn't hear my footsteps, and see that he has a fancy women's coat draped over his arm. "Good to know," I say, "You're a women's coat kind of guy." The mugger swivels around, obviously caught off guard. I use my telekinesis to bring the jacket into my hand. (Superpowers are so useful! Amiright?) Without skipping a beat, I look at the tag and say, "Sorry to break it to you sir, but I don't think that you're a size 2." With that, I bring the bag into my hands and zip tie the mugger's arms to a pole. I walk back to the front of Midtown high and try to find the lady. "Hey! Did anyone just get mugged?" I call out, to no reply. As much as I hate to do it, I look into the lady's purse for identification. When I find an address, I drop the bag and coat off there, hoping that nobody will take them. As I walk around aimlessly, mentally congratulating myself for a job well done, I just happen to remember the fact that I'm in eighth grade, and have to be home for dinner. Crap. I think, flying home. Cass is my GPS, telling me which streets to turn at. 

"Remember, 6th floor." She says as I fly up to our building. I zip up the side of the building, about to open the window, when I realize that I'm at the wrong place. "6th floor." Cass repeats as if she knew I would go to the wrong apartment. 

I arrive in my room at 8:36 and quickly change out of my suit and into sweatpants and a Star Wars t-shirt. I shove my suit and the boots that go with it into their usual hiding spot, an unlabeled box under my bed. Cass is sitting on her side of the room, staring at me. "Smooth, real smooth."  She says. 

"What?" I hope she's not referencing to the superhero work that I did today. 

"Your shirt is on backwards." She gestures to the mirror. I have my shirt halfway turned around when my mom comes in and says it's time for dinner. 

Dinner is nice. It would be nicer if my dad was home, but he's on a business trip, as usual. I stare off into space, wishing he was here. My younger brother Dallas is pushing his vegetables away from his meat with his fork. "So," My mom says, "I think it's time we start looking into high schools for you girls." Cass and I both groan. It's not that I don't want to talk about it but... actually yeah, I don't want to talk about it. Middle school sucks enough, and yet I've heard that high school is somehow worse. Count me out. "I was looking into schools recently," My mom continues, ignoring the groan. "And I think that you will like Midtown School of Science and Technology." Cass and I glance at each other. What a coincidence. I think. When she sees that Cass and I haven't outwardly shot her idea down yet, she pushes forward. "In fact, I printed out two application forms." Cass rolls her eyes. 

"You pushed it a bit too far, Mom." I say. 

"Way too far." Cass says. Dallas mimics us. Good job Dallas. 

"You'll see. Maybe you girls will like it there." My mom adds. "Plus they have a great academic decathlon team. Seems right up your alley Annie." She's not wrong.