Chapter 8

1 Week Later: 

???'s POV: 

I am interrupted from my work checking the countdown and doing paperwork by a man in a black trench coat. He hands me a briefcase and a thick envelope, sealed with a familiar insignia. The black and red soothe me. I open the envelope. Three pieces of paper fall out. One says that the countdown should be immediately altered, with three weeks being added to it. The second just has a location and a time on it. It says that I have to be at a... high school? Why would I have to go there? It says that I have to be there today at around noon. I look at the small clock in the corner of my computer screen. It's 11:30. I sigh. 

I should get moving. I think, knowing that there's no point in asking why I have to be there. The only answer they'd give won't do anything. I get into my car and drive to the location on the paper. I open the briefcase, two things. Glasses and a photostatic veil. I put them both on, looking at the third paper. It has a set of instructions on it. At the bottom of the sheet is a phrase I've heard time and time again. Failure to comply with not be taken lightly. 

I run my fingers through my hair and walk into the building. I head straight to the visitor desk. "Hello, I am Dr. Smith," I say, sugar-coating my voice. "I'm here to evaluate high performing students to see if they qualify for a grant from the Faustus Foundation." I smile for good measure. The receptionist looks through an appointment book while I check to make sure the veil is in place. The face it has given me is similar to my own, but with darker eyes and a different nose.  

"Oh! Here it is." She says, looking up at me. "You can get situated in room 302. Do you know which students you want to evaluate?" 

"Of course," I reply, handing her a list. She seems to take forever reading it. 

"I'll call them to room 302 right away." The receptionist concludes. I quickly walk to the room, calling students in one by one. I almost feel bad lying to these kids, almost tell them that there isn't a grant, almost tell them to go back to their classes. Almost. 

"Peter Parker?" I call out. A boy with brown eyes walks in. "If you could fill out this form for me hon, that'd be great," I say with a smile, keeping up my act. I hand him the form that I was instructed to give the students. To be completely honest, the form is just a formality. All I really need to do is hear the student's voice to decide whether or not they are who I'm looking for. 

"Um... Here you go." Peter says when he's done. I close my eyes for a moment and concentrate on his voice. "Are you okay?" He asks, and I open my eyes. 

"Yes. Of course I am." As I listen more closely, I notice that he's not the one I was sent here to find, but he is a person of interest. I pretend to check his paper before telling him that I'll be back in a week or so to choose the finalists for the grant. "Very few people passed this test, so don't go around telling everyone. I wouldn't want you making all the kids outside feel bad." He nods. "And congratulations again!" He walks out of the room and I call the next person in. 

Finally, I am on the last one. It's about 2 pm and I'm frankly exhausted. Undercover work isn't usually a part of my assignments. "Andromeda Walters?" I say, reading the last name off the list. A girl with curly auburn hair and blue-green eyes walks in. I hand her the form. She fills it out quickly and hands it back to me. I need to hear her speak. I think, resorting to my second plan. "So Andromeda, why should I pick you over somebody else for this grant?" I ask. She bites her bottom lip, thinking for a moment. 

"Well, I am a hard worker and-" I cut her off, I've heard enough. 

"Perfect. I will be back in about a week to choose finalists. Exceptional work on the written test by the way." I smile and wave her out of the room.