Chapter 3

Annie's POV

I wake up late. Not a great start to the morning. I rush breakfast and throw on jeans and a t-shirt that reads Don't trust an atom; they make everything up. Cass and I leave 15 minutes after I wake up, we barely make the train. 

I have a hard time concentrating in school due to my trip tomorrow. My minds swims with questions. How are international flights different than normal flights? And more importantly, Who am I fighting? What am I fighting for?  When my teacher, Ms. Lancaster, calls my name in English class, I snap out of my intent stare at no specific place. "Hmmm?" I ask. 

"Annie, I'm assigning partners for an in-class creative writing assignment, you're with Peter." She says. I look over to Peter, who I only know from Academic Decathlon. "Please pay more attention." She says, already turning away. A few minutes later, we separate into our pairs. I go over to Peter. 

"So which prompt do you want to do?" I ask. 

He looks down at the paper that the teacher handed out. "How about the third one?" He replies. His voice is very familiar, but I can't think of where I know it from. Other than Academic Decathlon, that is. He goes on to read the prompt, "'If you could have any superpowers, what powers would you have, what name would you choose, and what would you do with them?'" I smile, He has no idea what experience I have in this particular subject. "Maybe we could base ours off of an existing superhero?" He asks, his voice rising in excitement. "Spiderman's pretty cool." He says, reaching for his pencil, which is rolling off the end of the table. We don't need it, since we are typing this assignment. I can tell that it will fall off, so I use my telekinesis to slow down the pencil, so that it doesn't fall off the table, but it doesn't reveal my superpowers either. He picks it up, oblivious to what I just did. 

"If you don't finish in class today, it's homework." Ms. Lancaster calls out, to nobody in particular. My hands shoots up, and so does Peter's. "Yes?" She says, pointing in the general direction of our (currently) shared desk. 

"I won't be here tomorrow." We both say, at the same time. Well, that's not exactly how he words it, but saying that we said the same thing sounds cooler. 

"Okay, then email it to me." She says. We turn back to the computer and begin to write. 

When the period ends, Peter and I have completed about half of our assignment. Only then do I realize, he's the same Peter from that night last year... I look at him intently. He's kind of cute. And he doesn't wear glasses anymore. "So, do you want to finish the assignment at my house?" I ask. "I'll text you my address." I hold out my hand for his phone. He pulls up the contacts app and hands it to me, blushing a little. I put in my phone number and give him his phone back. The rest of the school day seems to fly by, but it could be my complete and utter lack of attention. 

That evening, I spend about 2 hours doing homework before I retreat to the living room to rewatch a Star Wars movie. I'm about halfway through when I hear a knock at the door. Cass opens it, it's Peter. 

"Oh, hi Annie! You changed, did you get a haircut?" He asks. Cass points at me, still sitting on the couch. 

"As a matter of fact, I did get a haircut," Cass says, flipping her hair. "By the way, I'm Cass. Annie is in the living room, watching Star Trek or something."

"It's Star Wars, Cass. How would you like it if I said that Harry should have been with Hermione?" I retort. She gasps. 

"You. Would. Never." She says, backing into our room. She seems to have forgotten that Peter is here because she says, "Maybe later tonight you can go out-"