chapter 9

that night and half of the next day, i sat in the guard tower.

one by one, each one of the group members tried to go up there to talk to me. i refused to talk to everyone, even carl. i just looked out at the prison courtyard fiddling with my bow.

i saw a walker on the other side of the fence, so i pulled out my pistol. i would shoot it with my bow but i don't want to waste an arrow. i lifted my pistol, lined it up with the walkers head, and shot the trigger.

when the walker went falling to the ground, i heard footsteps behind me. i sat back down and just looked at the walker that was now dead on the ground, ignoring whoever was behind me. i didn't realize it was rick until he sat next to me.

"hey reagan, can i talk to you about something?" rick asked putting a hand on my back. i ignored him and stayed silent. he sighed.

"i've been thinking some things over. and i want to give you an offer. i trust you more than anyone else. besides my son, ive known you longer than everyone. and you saved my life the first day i met you. you didn't even know me and you put your trust me in. i betrayed your trust by almost getting us killed by walkers. and even then you saved my life. and i don't know if you have realized it yet, but you play a very important part in this group. especially in my mind. and that's why i wanted to ask if you want to be my decision maker from now on?" he said.

i looked over at him. "you know shit rae. cause you've been through shit. just think of it like you're my right hand man" rick said with a convincing smile at the end. i took a deep breath. he used the nickname my dad uses for me. i looked out over the courtyard for a few seconds before turning back to face rick. "alright" i said nodding my head.

"good, good. but that means you need to come with me right now to the cell block to discuss with the group what our next move is. i'll let you have the final call" rick said getting up and holding his hand out for me to take. i took it and got on my feet.

"and reagan, i know that you're really upset that daryl is gone. but just know that i will make sure nothing happens to you. ok? as long as you're around me you'll be safe" rick said. i nodded to let him know i understood. he then came over to me and gave me a hug. it was comforting.

we went back down to the cell block and everyone gave me a concerned look when i entered. i tried my best to ignore it and sat next to carl on the ground. he gave me a smile and i gave him a small smile in return.

glenn then came over. "ok, i need you to tell me exactly where you found tyreese's group so we can make sure nothing else can get through that way" glenn said squatting down next to us.

he drew out the prison layout with a piece of chalk. carl then pointed out where we found them and i just stayed silent.

glenn was confused though because we thought we had that part blocked off. "the whole front of the prison ain't secure. if walkers can just stroll through then it's gonna be damn easy for armed men to come through" i said looking at glenn.

all eyes were on me at this point. glenn then decided that he wanted to go by himself to kill the governor. hershel thinks that's stupid and that we should just take our chances on the road. "what if daryl comes back for reagan? her being gone would completely destroy him" glenn said. "he ain't coming back glenn. he made his choice." i said quietly.

glenn came closer to me. "reagan, you're his entire world. he'll eventually come back for you" glenn said. "if you're trying to make me feel better it ain't working! he left and he ain't coming back. end of story!" i yelled.

i then grabbed my bow and started to head out. "reagan where are you going?" hershel asked me calmly. i turned around in a quick motion. "down to the boiler room area to kill some walkers" i said. i then stormed out. i heard footsteps behind me and i knew they were human from the sound of them. i turned around and it was carl and glenn. "let us help" carl said.

after killing about a dozen walkers, we went back up to the group. we informed them that the boiler area was over runned again.

killing those walkers honestly made me calm down a little bit.

hershel still thinks that we should just leave because he thinks we aren't safe here.

rick went back to crazy town and started wandering off around the prison fences.

as glenn decided to take off, carl and i went down to the gates with the keys to let him out. it isn't a good idea for him to be going, but i'm not stopping him. carl and i just decided to hang out by the gates. honestly we had nothing better to do. carol, axel, and beth also came outside. but they kept our distance from us.

"hey rae, i've been meaning to ask you something" carl said out of no where. everyone is using the damn nickname on me now. "shoot" i replied in a slightly annoyed tone. "where's your mom?" he asked.

i shrugged my shoulders. "my dad said she left when i was a baby. so i never had a mom. it was always just me and dad. and now it's just me..." i said looking down at the ground.

i then heard a gunshot and axel went down to the ground. i widened my eyes and carl grabbed my arm and pulled me to the ground along with him. oh god, this can't be happening.

i got my bow off my back and immediately got an arrow ready. i know usually in these situations i think of a way to get myself and dad out of it alive. but now i'm planning on how i can get carl and i out alive.

guns started going off everywhere. i grabbed carls hand. "come on!" i yelled. we ran to whatever we could find first to cover us. anything that could possibly stop a bullet from hitting us would be great.

we kept on moving. we found ourselfs behind a corner of the wall. i put my bow on my back and took out my pistol. carl and i started shooting at the guard tower because there was someone up there.

after everything went silent for a minute, maggie ran out with a shotgun and handed it to beth who joined carl and i. everyone then started shooting again. i could hear a car in the distance.

i closed my eyes and started praying to god that it isn't glenn. it wasn't. instead an orange storage truck came zooming in through the gates and parked right in the field. and out of the truck came about two dozen or so walkers.

great. this makes everything so much better.

i need to get my head back in the game if i'm going to make it out of here alive. i pointed my pistol up at the guard tower again and pulled the trigger once. i managed to shoot the guy up there right in the head. i then put my back up against the wall again.

as the people started to leave i saw another truck approaching. "glenn!" i called out. carl, maggie, and i ran down to the gate with carl holding the keys. and quickly as we could we opened up the gate and pulled it open.

all of us stepped out with our guns and started shooting at the walkers in the field. we are gonna take this place back. i hit almost every walker i shot at on the first try. i tried to block out everything else going on to focus on killing as many walkers as i could.

"reagan move" maggie said as i saw glenn making his way up here with the truck. as they got out, carl and i closed the gate. we then all looked out to where rick was. "oh my god" i whispered.