Chapter 20 - Purple

Life is precious from start to end
But when I'm with you I just wish it would all end
You ruined my mind
Blackened and destroyed it
How can I remain happy when you keeping on toying with it?

I was awoken to a knock on my door. My door. What a strange thing to say. I sit up in a room that looked far away from resembling a nightmare. This was my room. How did I go from having something to nothing back to having something again? It's like I was on the upside, staring down into water that reflected my image. And as soon as my temptation touched the liquid, I was sucked in, falling into the oblivion of the deep sea. I was drowning. Freezing. There was no light. Yet after a while of falling in reverse, I suddenly ended up surfacing in another world. My feet hit the warm sand and my hands dried. And, once again, I could stare at the water and watch as it mirrored the moon.

My life as a detective represents the first world. One were it was comforting and warm. I felt confidence there and it seemed like no challenge was too great for me. Though lonely the majority of my time, I lived a productive life. I had a nice home, job, and reputation. I was normal. Something that a school would praise and family's wouldn't scold. Blue spread across the skies and green splattered the trees like a canvas. It was calming.

But now. Now is a different story. Do I have a nice house? I look around at the apartments detail. I looked at its high ceilings and feel the silk sheets in my hands. Even better than before. Was I still lonely? Not as I once was. I had more company- whether it be good or bad, that's debatable. Yet underneath the mask of where I lay, there was deeper and much darker pieces to this world I now live in. Though I feel it now, I don't believe I will be comfortable and warm for long. I don't have the confidence that I once wore with pride. My reputation is now on the line to the eyes of my family and the job I was accepted into is for an eerie cause. The skies were now purple and the trees were now red. I didn't know if I should take it as a ravishing change or something that was just wrong.

Yet as another knock sounds on my door I get shoved out of my thoughts. I stare out the window and trace the skyline with my eyes. I was still in the same city. The one I have known for quite some time. The sky was blue but a purple seemed to flicker within it. The trees were green but, in a quick moment, they flashed red.

I was wrong. These aren't two separate worlds. 

They pour into each other.

I make my way to the door, hastily, throwing a bathrobe that was hanging on my door around myself.

Opening the door I am greeted with a familiar face that I once had so much fear placed in.

"Ah, Madame."

Wilford looks me over a moment and then back up to my eyes. He tilts his head slightly, placing his hands behind his back.

"I would say good morning but I figured an update on your progress would be more unique and exciting."

"Yeah?"

I tighten the bathrobe around myself as his eyes seem to wander a moment.

"There is good news and bad news. The good news is actually spectacular. You are responding well to the Shots. I can even notice it as you stand before me. You may not need another dose."

I look myself over and find that the bruises seem to be disappearing and I smile to myself a little. 

"With that, I can sense you are gaining strength. There must have been something in you to accept that this is who you are so the Shot was able to manifest. Congratulations."

He gives a genuine smile and I feel myself wanting to celebrate for some reason. At least I don't have to deal with anymore of that shi-...But suddenly he frowns.