Ch. 3 "Bad Boys Are Sexy"

Chapter 3

"Afternoon, Cass," my friend, Trent, greets when I step inside the diner. He embraces me in a bear hug and spins me around.

Trent Teal has always been like a big brother to me ever since I started working with his mom, Laura, here at the diner. He's two years older than me, attends the community college, and has one of the biggest hearts ever. I love when he comes and makes the day so much more fun.

"Ah!" I smile when he puts me down. "How are you doing, Trent?"

"I'm doing pretty fu-"

"Language," Laura warns, stepping out from behind the counter and handing me my uniform.

Trent leans closer and whispers in my ear, "king amazing."

I shake my head and take the uniform from Laura. "How was school, Cassie?" She asks when I head behind the kitchen area to change.

"Average," I answer and hide behind a refrigerator. I'm pretty close with the chefs, so it's not like I feel awkward. Of course I wouldn't want to flash them or anything, but all I have to do is change tops and put on the apron. Quick and easy change.

"High school sucks, ma," Trent says and sits on the counter. "It's not like Cass is going to say that she had an outrageously fun day."

Laura whips the towel she was using to clean the counters at his son, forcing him to get off the counter. "Not everyone was struggling to get a girl's attention their whole high school experience, honey."

"Ma!" Trent cries dramatically. He had the hots for this girl Maria for practically his whole life, only she didn't reciprocate the feelings. She left him heartbroken for his whole senior year when she finally turned him down at the junior prom.

I laugh, coming out of the kitchen and joining Laura from behind the counter where people are to order. Trent was sitting at one of the stools, elbows resting on the counter and knuckles under his chin. The door chimes and a couple walks in, sitting down at a booth.

"What about you, Cass? Have your eye on any specific boy?" Laura asks and throws the towel into a bucket, picking up her notepad and pen to prepare for waiting on that couple.

"No," I answer, feeling my cheeks blush suddenly.

"What about your friend..uh..Braden?" Trent asks, picking up a straw and playing with the wrapper.

"Braden's gay, smart one," I laugh and grab the straw out of his hands. "And stop wasting the values."

"Maybe he's straight for you," he says and winks, ignoring my orders and grabbing the straw once again.

The door chimes and that's my cue to grab my own notepad and pen. Still giving Trent a look, I start, "I don't think that's how it wor-"

"Sup," a deep voice speaks and I look up to see Kyle sitting one seat away from Trent. He's wearing sunglasses and a hat, which I don't think is that effective.

"Hey," Trent says back.

My jaw is slightly open when Kyle turns to look at me. "Cassidy? You work here?"

"Y-yeah," I answer, tongue-tied by his looks once again.

Trent has an amused smile, looking from Kyle to me. I shoot him a look when Kyle looks down at the menu quickly. Laura walks by and I see her mouth 'damn'.

Trent let's out a snort at what his mom did, catching the attention of Kyle. "Sorry, man."

"It's okay?" Kyle says, unsure of himself for once. It reminds me of how he sounded when he asked who my favorite superhero was. But this is different because the guy sitting next to him just snorted like a pig.