Six - Flashback

JADE

I sat at the foot of the bed in a room given to me by the king with Jamil and the other children, all asleep with their heads on my laps or my shoulders. Their quiet, easy breathing was the only audible sound in the room. All I could do is sit there and torment myself with questions.

Why hadn't I been more careful? How come I didn't see the clues? Why did I allow these children to be my weakness? How will I ever fulfill my promise to Mama and Isis Jasmine if I am a servant? But what can I do now? One wrong move and Amon may kill them and I don't want that to ever happen.

I sighed and rested my head on the bed. I bit my lower lip as I stared at the ceiling. The designs painted there twirled around in a blend of colors. I felt helpless. I couldn't leave the children here and I was bound by my word here even if it was against my wish. I told myself many years ago that I would never be defenseless again but here I am, defenseless.

I shut my eyes as tears threatened to flow, some seeped from the corners of my eyes. I tried not to but I couldn't help but remember that day that changed my entire life.

<Flashback begins>

I walked through the streets, holding Isis Jasmine's hand as we looked around for our mother. We saw her standing behind a stall, arguing angrily with a man who looked equally angry. We stood where we were and we were able to catch somethings they said.

"I told you to stay away from me. What we had before is over, in the past and I bloody well know I have moved on. Can you get that single thing into your head, Mumm-Ra? I am married and have two kids, for Horus' sake", Mama said.

"You are very wrong if you think I will give up what rightfully belongs to me. We both know you were mine before Nazir came in. I'll have you back and he won't be so much of a problem."

"Know this, Mumm-Ra, I'd rather die than to ever be yours again."

Jasmine and I watched as 'Mumm-ra' tensed and then watched as his face hardened. He clenched his fists tightly by his side. He looked like he wanted to hit Mama but held it in. He turned his head to look around then that's when he spotted us. He turned back to her and said,

"So be it."

He looked at us again and repeated,

"So be it."

Then he left.

________________________

(A week later)

"Happy birthday, babies", Mama said hugging us.

" Mama, we are not babies anymore!", Jasmine whined.

"Alright, alright. Happy birthday, big girls."

"Thank you, Mama", I said and Jasmine nodded.

"Iris? Isis?", a new voice came.

"Papa!", Jasmine and I shouted as we scrambled up to him.

Papa in rich silk robes and gold ornaments entered the small living room. Papa rarely ever got time off so it was thrilling to have him with us on this special day.

"How are my now 6 years old angels?"

"So happy", we said giggling.

He smiled at us and kissed our foreheads. Then he went to Mama and kissed her full on the lips and it would have gone far if we hadn't stopped them.