#3 -and love

'Finn... What happened to us?' she asked quietly.

To be honest, she was a little bit scared of getting an answer. She took a deep breath, bracing herself. She was sure that whatever words exit his lips right now will only intend to hurt her, mock her, make fun of her and so on. What could he even tell her? That he hates her? That he can't even look at her? That if it wasn't for work, he wouldn't even bother himself talking to her?

She has lost count of how many times she cried because of him.

The only thing she was certain of right now was that Finn hates her.

He had been treating her like she was nothing for weeks. And the times when they'd been best friends were undoubtedly gone.

He was her best friend, but it was different than with Noah, Caleb and Gaten. It has always been "Finn and the other boys." It has always been him. She didn't even know how to explain it. It was just different.

She was scared of losing him, but what could she do? She can't make him to like her again, there was too much harsh words said between them.

And there was too much things left unsaid, too.

So what happened to them?

He looked up at her, frowning. Months ago, he thought he knew the answer to that question. But now... He knew that she meant what happened to them. Them. To their friendship.

Finn and Millie. Millie and Finn. It has always been like that. Two people who have always understood each other without words, two people with that special connection that you can't fake even if you try.

It seemed that it was something that nothing and nobody could destroy, especially not some stupid boy or bunch of people on Instagram they would've never even met. He definitely knew that they could never break them.

But it wasn't easy for him to see her almost every day. When he was busy with the other projects he could distract himself more easily, try to forget his feelings but... But now he has to look at her, hold her hand and kiss her with the thought that this is all fake. It felt like a torture.

What if these feelings never actually go away and every girl he'll meet in the future will be just a dim, a weathered version of Millie?

He was scared he'll wake up one day and he'll love her a little too much. That one day this will be just too much and he won't stand to be near her anymore with the thought that... That this is all acting.

And it will never be real.

It kills him to be near her, not being able to hold her or kiss her for real because she isn't his.

If you ask him if he loved her... Well, months ago, it was more than likely he would say no. But there was no point to do that childish dodges now. He was older, more mature and the truth was, he really fell for her. Completely and undoubtedly.

But that didn't matter now.

They were too broken to fix it.

'We were...' she started. 'And now we are...'

'I know.' he said, looking down at his hands on his lap.

'Whatever is going on between us right now... It sucks.' she said bitterly.

'What do you want me to do then?' he asked.

'I want things to go back to the way they were.'

'Yeah, that won't happen.' he said.

'Why?'

'You changed. I changed. Things changed. We're not kids anymore, Mills.'