The Angels of Carrigan Castle: Chapter 11

Chapter 11  

Bane was staring at the white, cold box in the kitchen. From what he understood one was to place food in it and the cold air prevents it from perishing. Britannia called it a refrigerator while Sloan called it the white coffin with the light that comes on inside of it. Much to Bane's dismay, there was so much more he had to learn about this new world.  

Some things he had heard about in Heaven while he was incarcerated. Electricity and cars were two of the major topics for the scholars as the invention and discovery of electricity made it into Heaven's history books. When Bane was feeling down, which was most of the last four hundred years, he would search for the book about electricity and read how Thomas Edison place a key on a device called a kite and flew it in a lightning storm. Idiotic brilliance. Bane was always curious about electricity and how it works, and so much has come from it since that one lightning bolt.  

Moving from the kitchen to the other room, Bane took a seat on a very comfortable and worn couch, he was staring at another mirror though this one did not show a reflection or words most of the time. This one showed pictures, moving pictures with music and words. Bane was staring at a moving picture of a woman walking through a castle with a light following her asking if someone else was there with her. It was a fascinating picture filled with suspence and wonder.  

"Staring at the idiot box I see Bane." Britannia said entering the room and sitting down on the couch beside him, she looked exhausted which had Bane worried as angels were not supposed to become tired. He had found it strange to walk in on Sloan sleeping and equally strange that Britannia needed sleep and was showing signs of needing it. In Heaven this was seen as a sign of weakness and his sister was anything but weak.  

"Idiot box? Is that was this is called?" He asked looking back towards the box, another moving picture was on the mirror.  

"No this is actually a television." She said picking up the remote and changing the picture, "Basically someone takes a video camera, it captures movement and sounds unlike a regular camera which just captures a moment, and with a long process I do not know the video is broadcasted for others to watch."  

Bane nodded his head, not understanding a word that was being spoken to him and looked back at the television. "So this is not a mirror? These people cannot see me and what I am doing?" He asked squinting his eyes, the woman walking through the castle was speaking to someone about being afraid of going into the basement.  

"No this is not a mirror, that is a screen and pixels create the picture you are watching. Get it? Pixels to pictures?"  

"No."  

Britannia sighed and slouched down on the couch and sighed, "Bane you have so much to learn about the new world, I have no idea what I am going to do with you."  

Britannia looked upset for no reason, Bane thought. Was she sad about him not understanding the world yet? So much had changed since he was last here and now he would be expected to be able to simply join the advancements of today as though it were easy. Britannia had lived through all the advancements of the world, she understood the television and the small device Sloan had given him for contact. None of this made sense to Bane, what made sense was when you wanted to contact someone you would fly to them and deliver the message. From what he was understanding of the world, nothing was done face to face anymore.  

"So what do you think of Sloan's girlfriend?" Britannia asked. From the question Bane knew she was not yet a fan of the lovely Eleanor. The tone suggested she did not understand why Sloan would be with a mortal.  

"I have had little contact with her." He replied not wanting to start an argument with his stubborn sister. All the contact he had had with Eleanor was when she helped Sloan heal his bones and when explaining what he had overheard about the upcoming end of the world and answering some of her questions. From that small amount of contact he concluded that she was a nice person, strange that she would be interested in Sloan.