The Angels of Carrigan Castle: Chapter 14

Chapter 14  

Standing outside in three feet of snow in negative twelve degree weather was not as bad as one would think. It was obviously freezing and uncomfortable but it also ensured that no one would be wandering around the hills hunting, gathering or just being an idiot for wandering around the hills where hungry wolves and polar bears might find a human to be too good of a meal to pass up.  

The isolation of the entire area of the Canadian Territories also meant that for many supernatural beings this was a great place to gather and plan up and coming attacks, which is not the only reason for one to want to live in the area if they were a demon hunter.  

Though the air was freezing, the only thing to do was drink and the job market sucked, Yukon was an absolutely beautiful place. The towns were surrounded by endless forests and rolling snow covered hills. The people were friends and the wildlife was plentiful, as were the demons.  

Vaden was crouched behind a very large maple tree, watching his target moving through the woods. He had been watching the demon for some time now, hoping it would lead him to the nest, but as all the other ones had, it stayed away from the nest for days at a time.  

For years now Vaden had spent his nights in the forests all around Northern Canada and Alaska looking for the nest of demons in the area. There was too much demon activity in the area for the next to be there, and for him it was either kill or be killed. The demon's knew he was there as well and did the exact same thing, spent their nights searching for him.  

The demon had to be a newer brand, its marking were not visible. She had none on her face or on her hands, and she could not have any on her scalp as her hair had not succumbed to the poison that the marks leave causing the hair to fall out.  

Vaden nervously ran a hand through his own dark hair.  

For hours now he had been crouched in his same place as the demon paced back and forth with a cell phone in her hands, texting. It was amazing how much the demons had advanced in such a short period of time. Angels always saw them as savaged beasts, but really the two species were more similar than different.  

Angels were created when an angel from Heaven came down to Earth and slept with a human. If the human became pregnant the male angel could take them to Heaven to birth the child, where it would be brought back down to Earth to be raised until death. Once dead the spirit and body are summoned to 'the clouds' and reunited as an immortal warrior to the Archangels.  

Demons generally do not have children that they planned for, and the children normally occur out of an immoral act, or in other words a rape, and the child is born damned. Once dead even not birthed in Hell, the child will become a demon which is how many are still on the planet, and how the population is once again rising.  

Vaden never understood the reasons it was so simple for the demons to have an endless supply of fighters, all they had to do was impregnate a woman and as soon as the child died they would come back as an immortal warrior, always fighting for the freedom of the rest of the demons of hell. He had spent his entire immortal life fighting demons fully knowing there was truly no end to their destruction, while the Angelic population was dwindling down to smaller and smaller numbers.  

Vaden shook his head and let out a short breath, he was cold, tired and irritated. He had been following this she-demon for three days now hoping she would be dumb enough he lead him back to the nest, but no such luck. She had spent most of the days wandering around the forest to no end with most of that time being spent on her cell phone.  

"I am surprised I have reception out here." She said twirling her hair on her fingers, which were uncovered even in the cold. "No I am not going back just yet...well he can suck it!"