The Angels of Carrigan Castle: Chapter 7

Chapter 7  

Eleanor had never met a more infuriating, nauseating, disgusting, waste of space man- or angel. Every time she thought about their meeting her blood would boil and she felt like punching something, mainly him, as hard as she could. But she also felt something else when she thought of him, a fluttering in her heart she could not explain. The last time she felt that sensation was when she first met Phillip and she spent several weeks thinking about how amazing a relationship with him would be. The same thing could not happen here, she did not want the same thing to happen here. Or did she?  

After leaving the turret and climbing down the hundreds of steps to the first floor of the castle, she had to explain to her mother why she went looking for the angel. Of course Maria was freaking out and asking her why she went, and Eleanor really did not have a good explanation. She assumed she wanted to see for herself what he was like, she was going to be leaving her mother here to live with him for another forty years or so.  

"We could adopt someone and make them stay here? Would that work in the hole someone from your family must stay here or bad things will happen to you curse?" It was worth a shot, find some homeless person say come on join our family here's a castle.  

"I wish it were that simple." Maria replied. Eleanor had spent the last few days watching her mother sink deeper and deeper into a depression. Maria, who was normally full of life and acted like the young woman her daughter should be was now spending her time lying in bed or sitting in front of the television watching hours of Coronation Street.  

Eleanor knew what she should do, take her mother's place here at Carrigan Castle and spend her remaining time on Earth taking care of the worst person that she had ever had the joy of meeting. There was another part of her though that told her it was not her responsibility to take care of him until she was older, why should she give up her life at twenty-eight so her mother can continue to relive her youth she gave away when having a child at nineteen?  

Eleanor sighed and walked away from her mother, the more time she spent trying to cheer her up, the more depressed she became herself. She was always the one making sacrifices to keep others happy. When she was in grade school, Shawna Wilcox the most popular girl in school was having a birthday party and could only invite ten people, Eleanor said she did not mind going so her 'best friend' could go instead. In high school she gave up her prom ticket and date because another 'best friend' wanted to go with him because she had been in love with him for four years. Even as an adult she was the first one to sacrifice her weekends to work, her dates to pick up her drunk mother from a bar, and now she was thinking about sacrificing her life to give the woman who brought her into the world a chance at another one...  

All of this because Eleanor felt responsible for wasting her first.  

She knew it was not her fault that her mother decided to be promiscuous as a young adult, and it was defiantly not her fault that the moment she discovered she was pregnant Maria decided to run off to New York when she could have stayed in Scotland where she had family to support her, but Eleanor still felt guilty for taking away her mother's youth; though the whole experience of growing up with a young mother gave her a good role model in some ways and some good lessons in life experiences.  

As a teenager she was not as promiscuous as her mother, but that did not mean she couldn't act like all other teenagers do, which was going out drinking; partying and ending up in bed with a boyfriend. Eleanor decided as a teenager that she never wanted children and would do everything in her power to prevent having a child. Seeing the hardships her mother faced seemed pointless to endure for eighteen years, then spending all the money to send a child to college where they will drink too much and study way less than they should. Eleanor had a firsthand experience with this; college was the best six years of her life.