32

His fingers tightened around mine as we approached his mother's home. I squeezed his hand back to let him feel my support. I was nervous to face his mother after so many years. Even though I've only met with her on very few occasions, those being some of Cole's birthdays, she never seemed to like me. I'm not sure what I've done to cause her disdain towards me, it's always been there but like hell if she was going to keep me from supporting him tonight. I rubbed my thumb over his knuckles as he took in a deep breath, closing his eyes and relaxing into the seat.

"Shouldn't I be comforting you?" He says through slightly parted lips.

"Why me? I'll be fine," I said and leaned my shoulder against his. "I think I can handle this."

"I feel as if I'm throwing you to the wolves. Promise me that you will take everything she says with a grain of salt," He immediately sat up and looked me in the eyes. "Promise me." I send him a small smile before nodding my head.

"I promise. You're not nervous, are you? Of your own mother?"

"Not for myself. She can be quite cruel sometimes." The driver pulled up into the drive way of the apartment complex. "Remember, you promised." He said as the driver opened his door. I quickly nodded as he grabbed my hand and slid out of the vehicle.

His grip only tightened on my hand as we made our way closer to the front door. "Did I tell you how stunning you look tonight?" I smiled and pretended to mull over it in my head.

"I don't think so," I answered, sending him an encouraging grin.

"Well, you look very beautiful tonight. We match and I must say that we look perfect together."

"That we do, Mr. Pearson. Let's get this over with so maybe we can see some of the nightly attractions."

"Ah, Mr. Pearson. Good to have you. You're mother has already informed me of your arrival and gave me authorization to send you right up. Elevators are that way," The overly cheery man pointed down the hallway.

"Thank you," Cole then leads me down the hallway to the elevators and before I know it, were standing in front of her door.

"You've got to knock, baby," I said and patted his chest. Cole sighed before raising his fist and going to knock on the door but it was pulled open before he could. His mother stood there, giving her son a once over before pulling him into a hug, completely disregarding me as she ushered him into the living room. I shyly trailed behind them and felt the air shift around us. Something bad was going to happen, I could feel it.

"Mother, this is Racheal Miller, Melvin's partner and my girlfriend." Cole said and pulled me to his side. I smiled nervously at her scrutinizing glare. 

"It's great to see you again Mrs. Pearson-,"

"It's Mrs. Williams. Has been since I divorced Charles." Cole gave my hand a quick squeeze, reassuring me.

"Right, Mrs. Williams, it's good to see you again. Thank you for inviting me into your home, it's lovely." I took in the all white color scheme and mentally prepared myself to be extra careful tonight so I didn't spill anything anywhere. She already hated me and I could sense that if I spilled anything on her all white Persian rug that would put me even higher on her shit list. My eyes fell back on the brooding lady as she gave me a grunt in response.

"This way," She said and smiled, grabbing Cole's hand. He sighed but followed after his eager mother. "I made your favorite: lasagna and homemade bruschetta. Mozzarella sent in right from Italy." She turned around and gave Cole a wink as she pulled the pan out of the oven, setting it on the table to cool in front of us.