42

I couldn't sleep at all and it wasn't Cole's slight snoring beside me. I was restless. Maybe it was the baby, maybe how things ended with Rapha, maybe it's because of the case or maybe it's because Key told me that Dylan was the killer. After Key had mouthed those words to me, he excused himself and his daughters from dinner. Everyone was oblivious to the fact that Key had accused Dylan of being one of the murderers.

The only question on my mind right now is where is his partner? She has to be out there somewhere. I sighed in annoyance before flipping the covers off my body. Cole stirred on the bed, reaching out for me before settling back into his sleep without me. I press a light kiss to his cheek before grabbing my phone and walking downstairs.

The dishes were piled in a mountain by the sink. I pulled my messy hair into a bun before turning on some of my music. I made sure to have the volume down placing my phone on the counter. My parents and April were in the guest rooms down the hall and I didn't want to wake them. Getting to work on the giant pile of dishes and getting lost in my music seemed like a I good way to process my thoughts, to go over everything but it didn't. I didn't think, just did. Like a robot.

It wasn't until my father filed into the kitchen that I realized I had been at of for hours. The sun was rising but it was still early. My father was the a morning person, the rest of the Millers were not.

"Hey, darling. What are you doing up?"

"Just the dishes. They don't all fit in the dishwasher." I shrug and pass him the drying towel. "Want to help?" Dad smiles and takes the rag from me and starts to dry the pile of dishes.

"So, whens the wedding?" His voice his deep, still laden with sleep. If I remember correctly, his voice would stay like that until he had his morning coffee. I reach over and turn on the Keurig coffee machine.  

"December."

"That's really soon." He comments, placing the dry dishes on the side counter. "You have everything ready?"

"Yes. It's going to be perfect."

"I hope so." The coffee machine beeps, signaling it's finish. I hand my dad the cup and he smiles gratefully at me. "Thank you."

"No problem. We have leftover pie." I walk over to the fridge. "Apple, pumpkin, pecan and strawberry rhubarb?" I ask, pulling out all of the pies. I pull out one of the clean forks and hand to him, keeping one for myself. "Or we could sample all of them,"

"You read my mind," He digs into the apple pie while I shove pecan pie into my mouth. This baby was going to make me really fat.

"When are you due?"

"July 17th. It's going to be a summer baby," I smile at the thought. I notice that my hand is rubbing against my stomach before I can stop myself. It seems like a habit now, I couldn't keep my hands from my tummy.

He backs up against the counter, blowing on his coffee to cool it. "I remember when you mother told me that she was pregnant for you. I think I threw up and then passed out." I laughed and hoisted myself up beside him. "And then when you were born and- god, you were the most beautiful thing I had seen. You instantly had me wrapped around your little finger and now look at you-,"

"Dad," tears had started to cloud my vision.

"You're growing up. Engaged, kids, dream job. That's all I've ever wanted for you, darling." He brings me into a hug. "I'm so happy for you, really. I know at dinner I probably didn't seem like it but I am."

"Thank you. For everything." He gives me one last good squeeze before releasing me.

"Just don't forget about us back in California."