﹏Faded Purple String﹏﹏

Taehyung and Jungkook had been friends for four years, ever since Jungkook had moved into the neighborhood when he was seven and when Taehyung was eight (meaning that at this point they were eleven and twelve). They were close, they knew everything about each other- they were practically inseparable.

Taehyung and Jungkook sat on the floor of Tae's bedroom, playing with yarn. It was one of their favorite pass-times- to finger-knit and do other stuff with string. They tried to act like it was a normal day, though it was hard to do since it was certainly not just any other day.

Today was the day Jungkook left. He was moving away. Very far away.

"Tae, I... I'm really gonna miss you," Jungkook whispered, the back of his eyes burning with tears.

Taehyung looked up and gave Jungkook a big hug.

"I'll miss you too, Kookie," He whispered.

A tear slid down Jungkook's face.

"I might never see you again," Jungkook thought aloud, his voice breaking.

"Hey, hey, don't cry. I don't want you to cry," Taehyung soothed as he wiped away Jungkook's tears.

Jungkook sniffed, holding back his tears. He could cry later. Right now, he should just enjoy his last moments with Taehyung.

"Here, Jungkook," Taehyung murmured.

He gently grasped Jungkook's thin ankle and tied a dark purple string loosely around it.

"Purple means I love and trust you, and I will for a very long time," Taehyung whispered.

Jungkook smiled a bittersweet smile and hugged Taehyung tightly. He then tied a purple string around Taehyung's ankle as well.

"I love you, too," He whispered, "And I will for a very long time as well."

"Jungkook~" Jungkook's mother's voice rang through the house, "Say goodbye to Taehyung, we're leaving now."

Jungkook hugged Taehyung again, tighter this time, and Taehyung hugged him with the same force.

"I love you, I trust you, I'll miss you. I already do. This is happening way too fast. I don't want to leave. I love you, hyung," Jungkook rambled, stumbling over his words and trying to keep his voice from shaking.

"I love you, too, Jungkook," Taehyung whispered back.

Only minutes later, Taehyung watched as Jungkook's parents' car backed out of their driveway. He saw Jungkook's little face pressed against the window, tears pouring like a waterfall. Taehyung opened his window in a flash, hanging his upper body out and waving as he brushed away his own tears. Jungkook rolled down the car window and waved before putting his hands around his mouth to amplify his voice.

"Goodbye, Taehyung!"

Taehyung also cupped his hands around his mouth to scream,

"Goodbye, Jungkook!"

And that was the last Taehyung ever saw of his friend.

﹋﹋﹋﹋

It was Taehyung's first year of college. He sat in his dorm awaiting the arrival of his new roommate. He was nervous and fidgety, as he had become more introverted and less confident ever since the departure of his best friend when he was only twelve years old. The loss he'd suffered then followed him to this day, though now it was a dull ache, a faded memory, an emptiness he'd grown so accustomed to it seemed he almost couldn't remember when it was filled. But never did he forget the blurry image of that bunny smile that warmed his heart.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard the door open. He turned around to see a young man with black hair enter, pocketing his keys as he did so.

"Hello, you must be my roommate," Taehyung inquired, holding out his hand to shake and forcing a smile.

The boy paused half with his hand half lifted towards Taehyung's eyes focused on his smile.

"What?"

"Oh... nothing, it's just... your smile, i-it reminds me of someone."

Taehyung tilted his head in question.

"Who?"

"Oh, it's not important," He replied with a shake of his head.

He finally remembered Taehyung's hand in the air and rushed to shake it, smiling apologetically.

Looking at the boy's bunny smile, Taehyung couldn't help but think of-

The boy walked across the room and sat down on the empty bed. As he did so, his long dress pants lifted slightly. Taehyung noticed an ugly, faded string tied tightly around his ankle. His interest was sparked a bit, and he looked at it. Upon closer inspection, what he thought was a white or possibly light blue string turned out to be very faded purple. He smiled to himself at the memory of the boy he'd given a string to, a string just like that.

"I'm Jungkook, by the way."

Taehyung's jaw dropped. Jungkook gave him a weird look.

"What?"

Taehyung crossed the room towards him, leaning down and gently touching the string around his ankle.

"What are you doi- don't touch that," He snapped, pulling away.

Taehyung looked up at him.

"Jeon Jungkook?"

"Um, do I know you?"

Taehyung took a deep breath. This was too good to be true.

"M-maybe. We were young then."

"Excuse me?"

Taehyung took a seat next to Jungkook and took in his facial features for a moment.

"My name is Kim Taehyung."

Jungkook's jaw dropped, his eyes widening as he put it all together in his head.

"I- I thought I would never see you again..." He said, tearing up.

Taehyung wrapped him in a huge bear hug, Jungkook hugging back with matching force.

"My Jungkookie..." Taehyung whispered.

They hugged for a long time, crying out of mixed emotions.

This time, they were sure to never be separated again.