Breathe

A continuation of "Run."

     Jeongguk held Taehyung's hand as the nurses applied gauze to his wounds. Two of them were working with tweezers, removing tiny pieces of glass from his cuts. It burned.

     Taehyung was talking on the phone. He'd called the sheriff's office to report the incident, explaining everything, getting Jeongguk's point of view in it, too. He arranged to drive over immediately when they were released from the emergency room to write a statement. Jeongguk sucked air through gritted teeth when a nurse pulled a particularly jagged shard out of his arm. Taehyung squeezed his hand.

     "Yes, sir. It will probably take us a while to get there. The victim is getting the glass removed." A pause. "Yes, sir, I will. Mhm, thank you." Taehyung hung up the phone and turned to look at Jeongguk.

     "What did he say?" Jeongguk asked.

     "He said to get a picture of the damage done to both you and my car to use as evidence. Is that okay?"

     "Yeah,' Jeongguk murmured.

     Taehyung took a quick few shots of the cuts, glass, and gauze. He slipped his phone into his pocket again, wanting to stay with Jeongguk until they released him, deciding he'd get pictures of the car later.

     "Taehyung?" Jeongguk called.

     Taehyung held Jeongguk's hand in both of his own, giving Jeongguk his full attention.

     "What's up, Ggukie?"

     "I'm really sorry about your car. I'll try to pay you back."

     "Jeongguk," Taehyung scolded, though gently, "Your wellbeing is so much more important than a stupid car. If I could do it all over again I'd do the exact same thing. I don't care about the car or the money. I care about you. You don't owe me anything, okay?"

     Jeongguk sniffled and nodded. His heart swelled warmly. He felt so loved. Briefly, it crossed his mind that his (now ex-) 'boyfriend' had never made him feel so loved.

     "That's about it," A nurse said, applying one last bandage. There were so many small little cuts that they're had to just wrap his arms entirely, cheeks and forehead cushioned with gauze and medical tape. "He's lucky. There was no glass in his eyes or any major arteries. Collectively, he did lose quite a bit of blood, but the cuts are small and should heal quickly. He does need to rest, though, for at least two weeks."

     "Thank you, ma'am," Taehyung replied, "We'll follow your directions."

     She nodded and escorted them out.

     Taehyung and Jeongguk had both written a statement and answered a few questions. Afterward, they went to Taehyung's house. It was around seven o'clock PM, very cold, and dark outside. It was winter, after all.

     Taehyung put the kettle on the stove, deciding to make some herbal tea, while Jeongguk picked out something to watch on Netflix. Taehyung smiled as he heard Jeongguk murmur things to himself, like, "That's too childish," and "Oh, that's a good one! But would Tae like it?"

     "Don't worry about what I like," Taehyung called from the kitchen, grabbing a box of cookies, "I'm fine with anything. Pick something you enjoy!"