Chapter Fourteen

When they had finished hunting, they kept moving. Jaywhisker led them out of the forest and towards a meadow. They padded down the slope, and into the long stretch of grass and flowers. It was flat, so they decided to run. Darkpaw ran right behind Jaywhisker, with Silverwing and Flarepaw on her tail. Tumbletail and Frogfoot ran at the back of the group, and Darkpaw slowed down as she realized she had ran ahead of Jaywhisker. She rolled her eyes at Flarepaw and chuckled, then pushed ahead of Jaywhisker. She pounded her paws on the flowers, taking the lead. She dashed up the sloped at the end of the meadow, and dove into another. Jaywhisker tore down the side, yowling a warning. To late. A weight crashed into her side, and Darkpaw looked up to see a huge muscular black tom. She snarled and lashed put at him, only to be held down by her throat. He poked a claw into it, and she yowled for help. Jaywhisker ran towards the Tom, but got flung aside, due to his small size. Flarepaw growled and leapt of to the Tom, biting into his back. Silverwing and Tumbletail charged at him, while Frogfoot stayed back. "I'm to old for this." He muttered, turning away. The Tom bit into Silverwings neck, and threw her aside. Darkpaw dove for his legs, and leapt back when he clawed her muzzle. He shook himself wildly, and Flarepaw fell off. He sliced the apprentices ear, then held a claw to his neck. He was panting, and he slowly dug his claws deeper into Flarepaw's flesh. "No!" Darkpaw yowled leaping forward. "Touch me and I kill him." He growled. Darkpaw halted, and Tumbletail shared a frightened glance with Silverwing. Jaywhisker glared at the Tom and Frogfoot walked forward. The Tom dug his claws in, and Darkpaw saw a sharp stick by Silverwing. She flicked her ear, and Silverwing looked down. She crept up behind the rouge, and dug the stick into his neck. Flarepaw squirmed under the tom, as he fell on top of him. Tumbletail and Jaywhisker dragged the tom off, whilst Silverwing and Darkpaw helped Flarepaw up. Blood dripping from his neck slowly, and Darkpaw tore grass out of the ground. She pressed the grass against his neck to help stop the bleeding. It stopped after a little, and Frogfoot came back along with Tumbletail with rabbits dangling from their jaws. Jaywhisker refused to eat while Silverwing shared with Flarepaw. Tumbletail shared with Frogfoot, and Darkpaw ate alone. She got a scrawny, and stringy rabbit. It tasted awful on her tounge, but she was grateful for food. When they finished, Silver ring had applied a few herbs onto Flarepaw's neck. As they continued to walk, Darkpaw walked next to Flarepaw. "How are you feeling?" She asked. He turned to her, then nodded. "Good?" She questioned. He nodded again, then turned to look ahead of him. "Are you sure?" She asked worriedly. He nodded, and trotted ahead to walk beside Silverwing. "Flarepaw I'm sorry!" She wailed. He stopped to look at her, and he opened his mouth. "It's my fault. I jumped in the way." He wheezed. Darkpaw watched him worriedly, as he padded next to his mother. She sighed defeat, and continued to walk. Tumble tail was whispering with Frogfoot, while Silverwing fussed over her son. Jaywhisker led the group again, and Darkpaw brought up the rear. They reached the end of the meadow, and padded over a hill. Jaywhisker stopped at the top, and looked down. The slowly growing lack of sun made it difficult to see, but she saw a group of two legs gathered around fire. She growled, and Jaywhisker led them around it. A small two legs came running at them, and Jaywhisker ran, yelling. "Run!" Everyone ran, but Frogfoot wasn't fast enough. The little two legs kit grabbed him, and Darkpaw gasped, as Jaywhisker ran up to the kit. The small twoleg bent down, and tried to pick Jaywhisker up. He hissed, and swiped his claw across her paw. She pulled it back, then made a high pitched noise. Darkpaw covered her ears, and watched as Jaywhisker came back with Frogfoot behind him. The little twoleg ran to the big ones, and Jaywhisker helped Frogfoot across the field, as the older two legs yelled at the cats. A forest lay ahead, and Jaywhisker turned to Darkpaw, smiling. He stepped back and Darkpaw took the lead, surprised. She led them towards the forest, and told them to stop, when she noticed Flarepaw wincing with every step. She made him lay down, after an argument that he wasn't aloud to hunt. Silverwing laid next to him, and Frogfoot sat by a tree, talking with Jaywhisker. Tumble talk went his own way to hunt, and Darkpaw went opposite. She sighed, and focused on hunting. Flarepaw will be fine. She thought. She pricked her ears, and a squirrel ran right under her nose. She tore after it, and ended it with a nip to the neck. She dig a small hole, and laid her squirrel in there. She kicked some leaves on top, then scented the air for more prey. He followed a scent trail, and narrowed her eyes at a pigeon. She crouched, and stepped lightly, and she crept on the bird. When she got close, and waited, then launched herself into the air when the bird started to fly away. She bit into its neck, as she fell to the ground. She picked up her squirrel on her way back, and saw Jaywhisker sharing a plump mouse with Frogfoot. Tumbletail pricked his ears, and ate the pigeon with Silverwing. Flarepaw refused to eat with his mother, and shared the squirrel with Darkpaw. After everyone ate, they all curled up together, and Jaywhisker suggested keeping a guard while they slept. Everyone agreed, and Jaywhisker took the first watch. Silverwing took second, and Tumbletail took third. As they padded through the trees, Jaywhisker hopped sown some rocks, then ducked into the fern tunnel. Darkpaw ducked in behind him, with Flare and Silverwing behind her. Frogfoot came in after the three, and Tumbletail came in last. Jaywhisker went to talk with Lionstar, and Darkpaw laid down, waiting. Flarepaw laid next to her, and she looked over at him. He smiled, and she smiled back. She looked around at the clan she laid in front of. She would be leading them home. She would bring them to their new home.