23 | Unplanned Dinners

[23 | Unplanned Dinners]

🌜🌕🌛

When Isla Hawthorn wakes up the next day, the embarrassment of Theodore's words last night threaten to make her suffocate herself with her own pillow. She rolls over and presses her face to the pillow and lets out a silent scream, closing her eyes and wishing yesterday never happened. Of course things were going to be different and weird and awkward now. That's how all boy/girl friendships work when someone gets a boyfriend or a girlfriend. But she didn't think it'd happen to them to. After all, they're Theodore and Isla still. But with all that happened and the weird atmosphere between them these days, she's not so sure they're how they used to be. It's safe to say she's not sure of anything.

She's about to continue groaning and maybe force herself back to sleep because it's only eight in the morning on a Saturday, when her phone vibrates with what she knows is surely a text message. No one would be texting her this early in the morning so she brushes it off as these weird advertisements. Until it vibrates again after a few minutes and then once more too.

Sighing, she reaches for her phone from under the blankets, until something from her cabinet falls to the ground, until her hands grab the phone.

Isla turns it on to find a message from the same person she's just been thinking about. The person who admittedly, she's always thinking about. Also the same person she rejected not a few days ago and who made things weird between them last night.

It's pisses her off how indecisive she is and how she can never truly figure out how she's really feeling about a situation or someone. Her mind is always changing about things. It's both a blessing and a curse.

Theodore Barron: I know this is kind of a last minute thing, but I was wondering if you're willing to have dinner at my house with me, my dad, and Charles and Eva tonight? It's supposed to be a family thing, but it's gonna be so weird and awkward and everyone might kill each other and I'd really appreciate the support.

Theodore Barron: they don't care if I'm bringing anyone so you won't be intruding.

Her fingers type out yes, of course!!! What's the dress code? When he sends a message that makes her stop typing.

Theodore Barron: I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't running out of options. I already asked Anna but she said she's busy working shifts at her job tonight.

So she's a second option now? His last option actually. She is no longer his number one girl or the one who gets to do things with him first. And to think she was the one who pushed him into getting together with Anna.