24 | Overdue Outbursts

[24 | Overdue Outbursts]

🌜🌓🌛

The task at hand has proven to be harder than he thought. If Theodore knew how hard baking a pie was, he would have never volunteered to do it. But he remembered how Isla has told him once that before she knew him, she had a phase where she liked to bake. Where most of her time was consumed baking and how easy it was to just follow the steps on a Pinterest post.

Except now as he stands next to his brother - who surprisingly can cook a proper dinner meal that wasn't noodles - he couldn't help but feel completely helpless and clueless.

So when the bell rings, Theodore dumps his burnt pie and rushes to get the door, anything to distract him from the failure at hand.

But then Isla greets him at the door, smiling genuinely, looking like the sky after a terrible storm and his hurt threatens to burst. With relief, with love. His shoulders sag and he gives her a smile in return, then when he sees her mother standing behind her with a plate in hand, his composure returns and he straightens.

She greets Theodore and hands him the plate in her hands. It's packaged, so Theodore can't tell what's inside.

"We happened to run across your brother and his lovely girlfriend tonight while grocery shopping and he told us of the dinner you guys are having. So I figured we'd pick up your favorite pie on the way." It's a simple act really, she remembered Theodore's favorite pie and picked it up for him.

Really, it's so, so simple.

Yet it's extremely thoughtful. And it pinches at his heart. Because Mrs. Hawthorn has been more of a mother to him in this short amount of time than his own biological birth parent. It sends him surging to engulf her in a hug.

It throws her off at the start, but then she straightens and wraps her arms around him in return. She pats his back and strokes his head, then she releases him and places her hands on his shoulder while giving him an encouraging smile.

"You guys have fun tonight, alright? And if you need anything, don't hesitate to come over. Our home is always open to you, Theodore."

He almost cries then.

But he just nods his head and waves her goodbye when she drives off. Moving his gaze over to Isla, he finds her standing nervously by the door. She fiddles with her fingers then looks up at him and blurts out,

"I'm sorry to come unannounced."

He cocks his head to the side. "I-I invited you here."